2 yr old wont eat

OK so my DS will be 2 in a couple of weeks and he's not a picky eater by any means but he goes through phases where he'll eat really good for a couple days and then almost nothing the next couple days. But he CONSTANTLY asks for a cup. He'll ask for a cup in between 5-8 times a day. I've finally gotten to the point were I'll tell him he can have water or nothing and he'll take the cup of water but wont really drink it.
I think most of the time he confuses being hungry for being thirsty but he'll refuse to eat anything and just want his cup. So for a while I was giving him snacks and figured anything he was eating was better than only milk or juice. But my DH and MIL say that he should not have any snacks or anything to drink until he eats a full meal. My DH is deployed right now and I just want him to eat. I'm trying really hard to be stern but he's only eating a few bites and just cries for a cup

Parkers_Mommy8

Asked by Parkers_Mommy8 at 8:14 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You have to be firm. My DD is 2 and I have just started to let her have a cup at meal times. She would only drink and not eat. You have to stand firm. My 2 yo has one cup of milk and 2-3 cups of water a day depending on how much time she spends outside. She doesn't get juice unless it is a special occasion. I see no need for it. If my LO doesn't eat she doesn't get a snack, she gets the same meal she refused to eat. We have been this stern since she was 15 mos old. They will only go to bed hungry a few times before they figure it out. If your son is a grazer then you need to cut the snacks until you figure out how much he can eat and at what point. Some days my LO will ask for a snack at 4 and dinner is at 5 and I tell her no that she has to wait for dinner. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:27 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Remember that toddler portion sizes are very small. A few bites here and there is usually just right. Toddlers are grazers. Try making something healthy yet tasty, leave it accessible to him from breakfast on. He will likely pick at it. Come snack time, switch the food with a snack. Continue this with lunch, dinner, etc. You might find he eats more when he feels he has control over it. Also, he won't starve himself :) By chance, are you nursing him? If so, I'd worry even LESS about what he's eating/not eating, and I'm not too concerned even if he's not nursing...

Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:00 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Try not to give anything to drink til after the Meal. Also give rhem what they like. And they'll eat when they are hungry
    redrose36

Answer by redrose36 at 9:53 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• You should let him snack through out the day.But if you think he isn't getting a good supply of nutrition try getting him ensure. Then you want have to worry so much. That's like a meal in a can, they have chocolate, strawberry and vanilla. When cold he'll think it's an milkshake. You can get ensure at walmart and grocery stores.
    TwannaB.

Answer by TwannaB. at 2:13 AM on Sep. 23, 2010