Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

8 Bumps

Is this harassment?

Ok. I have lived in my apartment for 16 months and until recently we have had no problems. About 2 weeks ago a social worker came to my house saying that I was neglecting my children by letting them play outside w/o me being outside with them. First of all, only my 8 y/o plays outside without supervision and where he plays is right in front of my apartment, I can see him and I regularly check on him. Anyways, she said someone would be to my house the next day to talk to me and my children, no one ever showed. Yesterday, she is back at my house saying that I have been allowing my children outside unsupervised again. No, I haven't. She said she would be back at 5:30 to talk to my kids and if she didn't finish her work she would return at 7:30 last night. I said, ok. No one showed up again. I figure she'll be back in a week or two, to annoy me some more. Is there anything I can do about this? It is really irritating. No bashing.

Answer Question

Asked by matthewscandi at 8:15 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Parenting Debate

Level 26 (27,814 Credits)
Answers (22)
  • wow that sucks. i don't know how to help.. but i will bump your post..

    Answer by proudmommy690 at 8:19 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

  • I don't know what the laws are in your area. Times have changed so very much. Call her office and ask why she did not return. Document all of this.

    Answer by tootoobusy at 8:29 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

  • I would call and ask directly for the supervisor and ask what the standards are...I know in jersey if there is a more important "life-threatening" case they HAVE to deal with that first. But to turn around and make appts and never show and keep making allegations and not follow them up is bad business regardless of the circumstances...she could easily send someone else out. I assume she showed you credentials and had some kind of badge easily identified like they are supposed to? Thats pretty standard no matter where you are. Unfortunately no it's not harassment bc she can easily say she had another case to follow up on or whatever and her reports should be able to back it up but its severely inconveniencing and TRUST dealt with them through out my life as a child and again as an adult with my own kids and everytime my case has been closed. Good Luck, chin up and call and ask questions on standard followup procedures

    Answer by HTMommy at 8:33 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

  • Oh, I am not worried about it. I have dealt with social workers before. I took the foster parenting classes in GA a few years ago and I have two adopted children. She is inconveniencing me and my children's schedule, as we have things to do just about everyday after school.


    Comment by matthewscandi (original poster) at 8:37 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

  • Id make sure shes the real deal first. Sounds mighty fishy. & then id call her boss & demand to know what is going on.

    Answer by lilmoosesmom at 9:08 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

  • It never occurred to me that she may not be who she says she is. I'll have to check on that... hmmm

    Comment by matthewscandi (original poster) at 9:15 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

  • Yeah, that does sound odd. I have had a similar situation happen to me. However, i don't think it is the workers fault (in my case). He is just following up on reports. I want to know how many times I have to upset my children before they either start ignoring the reports until it's something new, or they tell me who is doing it so I can handle it legally.

    Answer by spiritguide_23 at 10:34 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

  • Yes, call her office, document everything, make sure she is who she says she is. Get the video camera out and video tape her each time she shows up. And make sure you are watching your kids!

    Answer by CarriePM at 5:45 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

  • Oh yeah,and be careful. Tell your kids to be careful of her too. She might not be who she says she is.

    Answer by CarriePM at 5:46 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

  • errr HELLOOOOOOO she has no legal right to access your children OR enter your HOME PERIOD. not unless she has a COURT ORDER or the cops with her for an emergency removal. call her supervisor and put up a BITCH STORM becausae an 8 year old is old enough to play in the yard or grass outside your apartment.

    Answer by BlacksheepSati at 9:32 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.