Why does this bother me so much?

I have a niece, who is having a baby. She wants NOTHING used. I texted her today, asking if she wanted my Diaper Champ, just to see if the rumors were true. She says "no thanks." She wants a diaper Genie, which IMO suck! The boy I babysit had one and I got poop on my hands more than once trying to shove a diaper in there. Anyway, it just bugs me SO much that she's too good to take a perfectly good used diaper pail. It's a garbage for crying out loud and it's been bleached. I REALLY want to say something to her, but I don't want to cause any family rifts. She also said not to buy anything Disney, or it will be returned. If it can't be returned, it wil be the pukey/poopy outfit that's always in the wash. It makes me SO mad that I don't want to get her anything, let alone attend her baby shower. I am happy to take anything I am given and put it to good use. I can't understand why it bugs me so bad. What do you think?

JGRIMMER

Asked by JGRIMMER at 8:17 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• She would get nothing but used Disney crap from me...
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:18 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• i would just get her diapers and get over it..... no use getting all worked up over that. i'm sure you might find someone else who could use and appreciate your things.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:19 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• It would bug me too, but you shouldn't say anything. It is her choice at the end of the day. Maybe once she sees how expensive baby stuff is, she will change her tune.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 8:19 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• LMBO @ Bradenlsmyson
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 8:20 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I think it bothers you b/c you feel like people should be grateful for what they get whether it is used or not. I have known people like that. We didn't stay connected very long. I was so grateful for whatever we got whether it was used or not. I felt incredibly special to know that someone thought enough of me to give me something that they used. BTW most of our baby gear was on loan or used. The on loan stuff has since been returned with the exception of our pack and play which we still need and our breast pump was on loan from a friend.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:20 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Wait, so you're upset because she doesn't want second hand? Who cares? Give your stuff to charity and move on...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:21 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I just have this terrible habit of obsessing over nothing. My mom tells me that I should expect it. When she was a kid, when she came to visit us, she would order the most expensive thing on the menu. It still annoys my mom that she was like that. We would go out for pizza and she would order something like shrimp scampi.
    JGRIMMER

Comment by JGRIMMER (original poster) at 8:27 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• You need to get over her not wanting nothing used that isn't your problem it's hers. If she wants to be a snotty nose bitch that isn't your problem. I would just bite your lip and smile you know that your not that kind of snotty nose so be a bigger person. She will see sooner or later that baby stuff isn't cheap and she will hae to learn how wonderful hand me downs really are.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 8:29 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I hate people who are too good for that sort of thing. For heaven's sake! It's a diaper pail!!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 8:46 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Shoot ... I'll take take your Diaper Champ.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 8:48 PM on Sep. 22, 2010