How long do you cook pasta until it's soft?

My DH and I can both make pasta, his will come out soft and mine still a little tough. Makes me hate cooking it at all. And our style isn't that much different. The only thing is that I forgot to stir while they were cooking. Could that be why?

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 8:31 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Food & Drink

• it's like 7-11 minutes. stirrign helps. al dente is when it is a little chewy, you dont want it too soft tho!!! but not hard exactly, it has to be medium,,, with texture but not hard, and not macaroni -n - cheese soft either. sometimes it totally depends on the brand and ingredients of the pasta, the more semolina in it, the more whole wheat, or the quality of it. put salt in the water, it is your only chance to flavor your pasta fully before the plate. drain it and add a little oil and toss it that way it will not stick together. or butter even YUM. then sauce up or mix with other stuff obviously lol
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 8:36 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• It is determined by the type of pasta. Most people like their pasta a little hard. Soft is mush. Test it before you take it off.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:33 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I use regular pasta. But at times when it is a late night, I use the Beauty brand rotini 3 minute pasta. Other than that I read the box and stir.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 8:39 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• you should always wait til the water is boiling also, this effects it alot....if its not boiling the starch in the pasta leaches out and it doesn't cook right, also add a little bit of salt to the water to prevent the pasta from sticking to itself and if you don't want the froth to boil over you can pour in a little veggie oil. the starch in the froth adheres to the oils so it bubbles. Also using the proper pot size for the amount and style of pasta helps alot. A tall pot for spaghetti and a wider pot for a larger noodle like rigatoni
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 9:04 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• i look at the box and set the timer for the longest time they suggest. it always comes out perfect. how long depends on the brand and also the type of pasta
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:36 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Al Dente is how I prefer noodles. 5 minutes for Egg noodles, elbow macaroni, Vermacelli
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:38 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• i wait til the water is nice and hot b4 put the pasta in the pot...then cook for 15mins
    TezMoM

Answer by TezMoM at 8:39 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• follow the directions on the package and then test a piece. If you want it softer leave it in a minute longer, then another minute, etc
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:31 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I make sure the water is at a rolling boil before I add the noodles, be sure to stir them (I just do that so they don't stick) and cook them for the longest suggested time on the pasta box!
    kamsmommy17

Answer by kamsmommy17 at 11:06 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Looks like the only thing I did wrong was forget to stir. Didn't have the box anymore because I combined what was left in two different boxes into one rubbermaid container and tossed it. But they always seem to say 10 minutes, LOL. Anyway I will have to remember to stir.

Thanks everyone. :)
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 11:39 AM on Sep. 23, 2010