is this a good sign? (question about weaning)

my daughter turned 1 on sept. 17th. i like to begin weaning them when they turn one. with my first son my milk dried up way before then because i had to put him on a special formula mainly and only supplement breast milk (but that's a long story and not important lol). anyway, with my second son i nursed him until 1yo and then decided to wean because it was giving me cramps (i was pregnant with #3). i decided to just stop nursing cold turkey. wow that was such a mistake and i don't want to go down that road ever again lol. now with #3 i decided to start weaning now because she doesn't depend on nursing to fall asleep anymore.... she just snuggles up with me and goes to sleep by herself. i cut out the morning feeding when she first wakes up and before her morning nap. now we might do one in the afternoon (one side) and the other side before bedtime. my question is i don't have any discomfort or engorgement through (cont'd)

princessbeth79

Asked by princessbeth79 at 8:33 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• There isn't any engorgement if you do it slowly. I think you may still be traumatized from the cold-turkey thing! I had to do cold-turkey with my second and it was AWFUL! I would never recommend that to anyone! It sounds like you are doing a great job if she's not relying on you to sleep...that is always the hardest part!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 8:39 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• the day.... is that a good sign? i thought it would take my body a while to get used to it, but it just seems normal. maybe i'm just traumatized from last time lol
    princessbeth79

Comment by princessbeth79 (original poster) at 8:35 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I agree with mommyh2...gradual weaning is best for baby because it's less traumatizing, and for mama, because the demand slowly decreases, therefore there USUALLY aren't issues with leaking/engorgement. You sound like you're on the right track.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:57 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• gradual weaning is the way to go...ANd for the formula mom you can not compare that to BF'ing because its mostly the comfort they get from nursing. I always weaned slowly so havd no encorgement issues. Its easier on you and baby.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 12:45 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• For myself with my first child I had to stop breast feeding at at 10 weeks and went straight into formula, then at 11 1/2 months I took away the morning feeding and replaced it with milk and as the weeks progressed I gradually swtiched to whole milk by the time she was 1 year
    bsherman

Answer by bsherman at 8:38 PM on Sep. 22, 2010