potty training

I have six kids all grown now and six grand kids two that live home with there mom im trying to help my oldest daughter potty train her 2 1/2year old daughter i really dont know were to begain everytime we say potty time she says no and then she will poop in her daipershe has a cute potty chair that talks but its hard my daughter is discourage........help

sweetie44

Asked by sweetie44 at 8:52 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• she may think the cute potty chair that talks is a toy. take her to get big girl undies and tell her she is big girl and that big girls use the potty.get her a little seat that goes on the big potty and reward her when she does use it. thats what i done . i got bag of m&ms gave my son hand full everytime he peed and stinky .............then after awhile i just gave them to him when he stinked ...........then i cutt the candies out all together...... but i took my son and let him pick out his fav cartoon character undies
    BellaDiamond

Answer by BellaDiamond at 8:58 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• by the way i never used pull ups. when i put him undies he wore undies no diapers at night either if he wet the bed i cleaned him up. i wanted him get the idea NO MORE diapers. and he did whine for them. but after 2 weeks he was GOOD
    BellaDiamond

Answer by BellaDiamond at 9:00 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I started by anytime I gave my children a bath sitting on the potty as I was filling the tub...if they went I rewarded them with lots of praise...Acted like it was the greatest thing since sliced bread....Then I started to put my girls in what we call "big girls" (underware) it took me three days to get both of my girls into...Every two hours I just put them on the potty I did not ask if they needed to go...if they went in there big girls i never made it a big deal...it happens....If you know she likes stickers use that as a reward, something she likes that is not alot of money....Adjust the time depending on how much she is drinking...once they understand that when they go they are going to get all that good attention they normally want to keep going....don't use the pottys that are more like toys...they will think it is a toy and not for what it needs to be used for...I used a basic $15.00 one, nothing special at all....
    sharonnacy

Answer by sharonnacy at 9:48 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Oh to add....I never used pull ups...yea at frist it was alot of messes to clean up but when I tried them for two days my oldest used them like diapers...I only used it at night and that was because my girls are heavy sleepers and don't wake up....Limit how much they drink and don't give them anything to drink (if you can) about an hour before bed to maybe two....Don't worry too much my oldest was not completely potty trained until 3 1/2...there is no time fram all kids are different...don't get wrapped up in "my kids were potty trained by..." There is no age to it...as long as you keep with it and don't give up it will happen....Good luck...
    sharonnacy

Answer by sharonnacy at 9:52 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• When I started potty training DS I actually used pull ups which honestly might have made the process longer, but anyway I also took him to pick out big boy underwear and a potty chair. We used to pull ups for long trips and at night until he was night trained. For during the day I started taking him the potty every 20 mins especially after having a snack or a meal. I also learned his body language for when he had to poop so I could take him before he went in his underwear. Everytime he went on the potty I made a big deal out of it. YAY What a great job! Stuff like that and also rewared him with either stickers or m & m's. Once he did good with that after a few days I stretched it out to 30-40 mins and then up to 1 hour. It was important to remind him when he was playing by either asking him if he needed to or just by taking him. For training him at night I made sure not to give him too much to drink right before bed.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 7:53 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Since he went to be before us I would take him before he fell asleep and then again before I went to bed. It really helped and never interfered with his sleep. Before we knew it he was telling us that he had to go on his own and having very few if any accidents. Good luck to you and remember to be patient.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 7:54 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Amzingly enough with 5 girls I have never had a problem with this.They just kind of decided to try and it was all good
    fryshannon34

Answer by fryshannon34 at 1:59 PM on Sep. 23, 2010