I want to breastfeed, but i will only be off work 3x wks

I will be off work for three wks after i have my child, so should i introduce him to the bottle 2x wks into breastfeeding that way when i go back to work and have to pump he will still get his milk???
FTM Susan

sboser

Asked by sboser at 8:58 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would nurse everyday until that day that you go back.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:59 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• BUMP
    sboser

Comment by sboser (original poster) at 9:00 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• It's doable. You will have to spend a lot of time pumping the first 3 weeks to ensure your milk supply is up. I have a friend who pumped and bottle fed, that's all she did. She didnt' like nursing, but wanted her kids to get breast milk.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:00 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I plan to do both part time. I did with my oldest. I introduced a bottle early on, but I never could pump, just doesn't work for me. So we did BF and FF... I would say you can introduce it any time you choose to, and just do your best...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:00 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I agree to nurse him everyday, but get him use to a bottle with breastmilk in it. It would be horrible to whoever is watching him if they have to give him his first bottle. What if he rejects it? It is better to get him use to taking it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:01 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• just nurse and then like three days before you go back show him and let him feel i his mouth a bottle, very gently while breastfeeding, mayeb express some and show him, he will learn and be okay it is beartbreaking but know you are doign the best you can., so hard for moms these days who HAVE to go back to the workworld liek i have to, and so many more,. BUT we are strogn and nurturing., JUSt ENJOY your time, you are NOT hurting him by havign him switch, he will cry and maybe not eat as much when you switch but he WILL my daughter is six months now and likes bottle but was a diehard BREASt lover for food and got MAd at bottle lol, sigh. USE the NUK brand orthodontically soft and shaped liek a breast nipple with the hold on top of the nipple not at the end so cool and it works WELL GOOD luck and just LOVE him!!!!!! yayayyyy yes breastfeed do what YOU as a mother, want to. bond with im this time is SOOOOOO fleeting and precious!
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 9:03 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• thanks so much i am new here and could take any advice for ftm moms given thanks all
    sboser

Comment by sboser (original poster) at 9:07 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Just nurse for the three weeks you will be off and start pumping once a day maybe a week in advance. Leave that milk the first day you go back to work with a bottle (if baby has taken to breastfeeding really well ), or an alternative feeding method if baby is still working out the kinks (my second was still working out the kinks even at 4 weeks when we tried). No need to introduce the bottle any earlier and no reason for YOU to ever give a bottle.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 9:10 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I breastfed and around 1 month old I gave her a bottle of breastmilk and she took to it fine. Some babies do take some time to get used to it, but not all! My daughter would breastfeed on just one side each time she breastfed, so sometimes I would pump on the other side while she was nursing...it was kind of a pain but it worked...
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 9:24 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I went back to work full time at 5.5 weeks. I worked 40 hours (plus about 3 hours a day commuting), and pumped at work. I stopped pumping at 12 months (she stopped wanting bottles), and we continued nursing in the morning and at night until 17 months.

Nurse and pump at least a few days before going back to ensure you've got some on hand for the baby to eat the first day, etc.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 9:24 PM on Sep. 22, 2010