Does your 7-8 yr old seem way overloaded with "no, no, no, can't can't......

My younger school age one won't do the homework.
Any suggestions.
Sorry so blunt... I need advice please.
Thank you for any suggestions !

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Have you tried to sit with your child and do the homework with him/her...maybe ask him/her if there is something they don't understand and talk with the teacher to see if he/she is struggling doing work at school....it possible that they are just being lazy....I have noticed that around that age most kids just don't want to do there homework...not all but most....try to get him/her to do it right when they get home from school too...this way they don't get interested in something else and out of the mode of school.
    sharonnacy

Answer by sharonnacy at 9:22 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• omg, my 5yo is like that. if he thinks he's going to fail he won't try, or if he doesn't get it on the first time then he quits. i tell him that he will never find out what he can do if he doesn't try to. and i tell him that nobody NOBODY gets it on the first try. then it usually takes him a couple of tries and then it clicks. then i go really overboard with the praise and that makes him proud about it. then the next time he starts with the i can't crap i remind him about what he couldn't do before, but now he can because he kept trying and working at it. i found it's better for us if i'm patient and supportive even though i just feel like yelling at him lol. it gets better the more new or hard things they tackle. it builds their confidence. in the meantime.... just help them and be patient
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:22 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• What do you mean he WON'T do it? Like he tells you NO when you tell him to? My stepson is 7 and he tries to rush through homework and makes a ton of mistakes so I usually sit with him and have him read the questions out loud which forces him to take his time and pay attention to what he's doing. He tells me the answer before he writes it down... If he refused to do his homework he would be sitting at the table all night because he sure wouldn't be allowed up from that table until it was done!!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 9:29 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• which one aren't they doing? we're having trouble with the writing part. but everything else she'll have done in five minutes.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 10:09 PM on Sep. 22, 2010