Potty training: what were your child's signs of being ready?

Potty training my almost 3-year-old hasn't been fun for either of us (he fights having to sit on the potty), and everyone keeps telling me that maybe he's just not that "ready".

So what does "ready" mean? People have been making it sound like one day, a lightbulb went on above their kid's head, and all of a sudden, they're willing to go to the potty! Please give me examples of what you saw were clear signs that your kid or kids were ready for potty training.

phoofy

Asked by phoofy at 9:33 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I agree with the first answer. My neighbor did that with her son. She told him when he turns 3 no more diapers and he started using the potty.

Some kids are just stubborn though. I kept asking my daughter if she wanted to go and she would usually say no and id say lets at least try and i think i got her nerves and she finally was like ok and after that 1 day she was potty trained but this was after failed attempts since she turned 2. she will be 3 in dec.
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 9:43 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• My son did it after watching my dad pee outside LOL We live out in the country, and my hubby was away for 4 months at the time. So my dad was his male role model. He just did it one day. Then a week later my hubby came home and he did it in the toilet ever since. Is your hubby around, does he take your son to the bathroom with him all the time? My hubby did and does that with our babies, both boys. Although my hubby is gone more than home, them seeing how to work a penis is what helps. I mean, mommy sits and daddy doesn't for one. IMO I would not teach him to sit on the potty, then have to learn to pee standing all over again. I would have dad, if he is around, step up and start to show him how to pee. Pooping will take a while. My son has been peeing for about 4 months now but still can't get the pooping down.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:59 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Unfortunately, my son doesn't seem to mind being wet or dirty in underwear. :( The other night after doing dishes, I found him sitting in his booster chair happily finishing off a snack, sitting in his own puddle of pee!

Also, his dad is the only male role model right now, but he's so busy with work that he usually only sees him for 10 minutes in the morning (and that's if DH wakes up before we leave). He's aware of the toilet though, he always sees me on it, and he's eager to flush the toilet. (We also throw his poop in there for him to flush.)

Just like Smiley001 said, every time I ask my son if he has to/wants to go, he's quick to say no. I'm hoping that one day he'll tire of me asking and start going as well!
    phoofy

Comment by phoofy (original poster) at 1:09 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• My mother told me that a child knows when it's time to use the potty. Here are a few examples when your child is ready to use the potty. 1. In the morning his diaper is dry. 2. Taking his diaper or pull up off. 3. He tells you the he poop poop. 4. When he hangs around the bathroom. 5. He pee pee on himself and he changes himself. Try getting the pull up tape and let him watch it. I had problems potty training my daughter. She didn't want to use the potty at all. Until one day I set her on the toilet which we called the big pot and she use it. Everytime she potty I give her extra hugs, kisses and high five. To my surprise potty training was over. She was potty trained at 2 years old. I wish you luck!
    TwannaB.

Answer by TwannaB. at 1:15 AM on Sep. 23, 2010