• In the Spotlight:

Two year old with autism

I was just wondering how concrete is a diagonsis of autism of a 2 year old? How can you tell the difference in the average 2 year old behvior and a autistic child?

Brickhouse95

Asked by Brickhouse95 at 9:34 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I always thought a diagnosis wasn't official until 5 years old at a minimum.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:37 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I meant behavior..sorry about that.
    Brickhouse95

Comment by Brickhouse95 (original poster) at 9:38 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• They are very precise. the ideal age for diagnosis is 2-3

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:46 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Okay...I guess I hoping it be later because I am concern how the school will deal with it. I know of students that were austic and they were just thrown in special education classes...guess I got a battle on my hands.
    Brickhouse95

Comment by Brickhouse95 (original poster) at 10:02 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Look into an early intervention in your area. A diagnosis this young is GOOD because studies have shown with early and intense therapy can make worlds of differences later. I know plenty of kids on the autism spectrum who are in regular classes with special education support. My SIL does ABA therapy, which is one of the few kinds that research has shown can really help gain skills.
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 10:16 PM on Sep. 22, 2010