Will most landlords let you watch children out of your "home"?

I'm needing to rent an apartment, duplex or house for awhile here in a few months. I do "daycare" out of my home and have for 10+ years. It's not really a "business" persay. I just take care of no more than four kids at a time in my home. There's no traffic during the day or anything negative about it that would keep them from letting me, but I've heard to make sure and let them know beforehand.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:38 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Home & Garden

• No. It's not as simple as that. You definitely need to ask permission to do so.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:40 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I wouldn't think there woudl be a problem but I would ask
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 9:40 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• You need to ask, check your lease, and zoning laws. You may have to shift gears and find someone that wants a caregiver to come to their home.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:41 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• As long as I pay my rent and don't complain about maintenance issues my landlord really doesn't care about much of anything.
    luvsmysonjames

Answer by luvsmysonjames at 9:43 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Check with your zoning, and with your landlord. It could be an insurance and liability issue.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:47 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• i know my landlord wouldn't mind. as long as rents paid and you don't break things he has to keep fixing i don't really see why they wouldn't
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 10:01 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I ran a childcare. it sound as if you are not state licensed- mabey just listed with DHS, BUT there are still liability issues. If a child gets hurt on there property they can get sues as well. I would ask and tell them you can get rental insurance- but rental insurance will usually rewuire you to add "extra" cause no matter if your licensed or not- according to the government you are still a small business. ALso, yes you are "supposed" to get permission from the city.
    lovmyhubby

Answer by lovmyhubby at 10:18 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• sorry about the spelling, I am holding a wiggly worm in my arms!
    lovmyhubby

Answer by lovmyhubby at 10:24 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• You have to ask your soon to be new landlord... In most cases no.... bc it will be considered a higher liability for him
    and his insurance...and if something happens he could be sued also...
    also you will have to get written permission from him/her if they will allow you to... and if you are licensed you will
    need to contact the licensing dept and find out if that is even acceptable... in some cases no and in some cases
    yes with additional restrictions on you and the landlord....

GL
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:44 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• IN your home?
    You'll need a License from the state,I think. Then you will have to find out of the Landlord has to give you his permission.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:53 AM on Sep. 23, 2010