how can i get my 3 yr old to listen

My 3 yr old was diagnosed with PDD-NOS. He refuses to listen to me or do anything I ask. Ive tried timeout, redirecting, etc nothing is working.

redrose36

Asked by redrose36 at 9:43 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When you have a special needs child it makes learning parenting skills so important. Think of having a toolbox or repertoir of skills. Some skills work in some situations and some in others. There are some generalizations. Punishment is the least effective form of parenting, authoritative parenting is the most effective. You can read more by searching on google. To learn parenting skills it may take reading, support groups, classes, conferences, therapy, and/or having a mentor. Love & Limits by Elizabeth Crary is a good first book and she has a web site called star parenting.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:50 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Depending on where you live, you should be able to get help with his behavior. Ask the pediatrician about a mental health agency that does wrap around services, and has Behavior Specialist Consultants and Mobile Therapists to get therapy from. That was the work I did before I had my 2 babies. We work with children that young. We work with the child and family, typically they are assigned a Therapeutic Staff Support (TSS) worker to work daily with the child and the BSC or MT oversees the treatment. It's hard to find what works in the line of discipline.....you have to be consistent for a long period of time. Figure out what you can do in the lines of positive reinforcement as well as how to discipline to get their attention. Plus age 3 is hard in general, "normal" or "not normal" preschooler because they are still at an age where they are testing boundaries, learning about the world around them, learning who they are, etc.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:54 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Thanx ladies. My son receives therapy and he also goes to a developmental disability school.
    redrose36

Comment by redrose36 (original poster) at 10:01 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• My son is Autistic so on the same spectrum and he is 4 and still doesn't listen. Part of the issue is that 1. The communication you would normally have may not be there depending on how well he receives speech. 2. Some children on the spectrum have compulsions and lack the ability to really think before they do things. It depends on what behaviors your child is exhibiting and how delayed he is to know exactly what will work best for him. I wish you the best as I know how difficult it can be sometimes.
    Dear.Prudence

Answer by Dear.Prudence at 11:39 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Wow you must have alot of patience
    fryshannon34

Answer by fryshannon34 at 1:57 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Thanx again for the advice.
    redrose36

Comment by redrose36 (original poster) at 2:56 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• three yr olds have a short attention spam. Continue to work closely with them , using time outs if necessary. I f it continues, I would see a children psychologist and some family counseling.
    onebusywoman

Answer by onebusywoman at 12:59 AM on Sep. 24, 2010