Has any of you reached menopause and are having a hard time loosing weight?

since I've turned 46, i've been going thru menopause, seems so hard to loose weight. I don't really eat much at all, drink a lot of coffee, but it is so hard to not gain weight. My stomach looks 6 months prego. I hate how I look and am so dissappoiinted in myself. I don't eat any sweets or any white floured products. very little junk food at all. But just the looking at food seems to make me gain. Is there anyone out there that has the same experience or any good advice for me. thanks

cardinal58

Asked by cardinal58 at 9:45 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I know my mom had that problem. She weighed the same all her adult life (and it was easy for her to maintain a healthy weight)... until menopause. I don't know what it is with that. Wacked-out hormones?
    She recently lost weight and looks great- fitting into shorts from 1978 :) What she did was cut down on her carbs (way less potatoes and bread) and quit drinking her nightly after-work beer during the week.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 9:51 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• well, i'm not there yet, but i have read some articles about the subject. everything you're describing is very common. your metabolism is slowing down now and you have to adjust your diet accordingly. also they said that exercise works wonders. not break your neck kind of exercise, but brisk walking and low impact aerobics, swimming, things like that. you're not alone.... you're very normal.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:52 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Yes, this is a difficult time. Hormones reek havok on the waistline that is for sure, and metabolism changes drastically. I was a no meat eater and found I GAINED weight , so I have gone back to to eating meat and have severely restricted my carbs and ramped my exercising, and it seems to be getting better. I was one of those people that was always tiny with a concave stomach, even post delivery- not when menopause struck- I also have fibroids and needed to take injectable Progesterone for awhile- that really caused fluid retention and bloating-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:57 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I was told you don't gain that much weight. I will have to research that!
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 3:31 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I went through menopause at 46 and had similar symptoms. A friend recommended Juice Plus. I take the capsules and use the smoothie mix. I lost 19 pounds. I've been on it for a year now and feel so much better. I actually became a Rep because I was sharing it with others anyway. Let me know if you'd like to know more about it.
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 9:32 PM on Sep. 27, 2010