how can i tell if my son is teething?

my son is 3.5 months old and i think he may be starting to teeth. he has an excessive amount of drool now, he shoves his whole fist in his mouth and bites (not sucks), he loves to have REALLY cold stuff on his gums and he would rather chew on my fingers than his fipple (Binky, pacifier etc.) what i want to know is, is there anything i can look for in his mouth/guns as a sign? any help is appreciated!! thank you so much!!

LuvMyLilMonkey3

Asked by LuvMyLilMonkey3 at 9:51 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He is....Running noise, fever, fussy can also be signs for teething....If his gums look a little whiter than normal that means they are about ready to break through...one day he will wake up and all of the sudden you'll see a little bit of a tooth...you may feel it before you notice it....
    sharonnacy

Answer by sharonnacy at 10:00 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• all of that stuff is signs. besides that, you look for the white in his gums which is teeth
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:55 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• not really. he probably is but he may not get a tooth for a few months, or he could get one tomorrow. when they start to come in it will look like a hole in his gums before the tooth comes in.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:55 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• that sounds like normal baby stuff to me, but here are some signs of teething that my kids had.
    gums are red and swollen and bumpy in the area where the tooth is trying to come in.
    sometimes they ran a low grade fever.
    sometimes they got the runs.
    they were always crabby lol.
    sometimes they drooled more.
    sometimes they liked to chew on things (but that's normal so idk if it's really a sign lol)

some of those symptoms were for only one kid, but are considered to be 'normal' signs of teething.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:55 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Everything you described are the symptoms my son showed when teething. Start looking for teeth! :)
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 9:57 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• You may not notice anything in his mouth for months.. both my boys were teething for at least 3-5 months before they actually cut their teeth, then u will notice their gums will look red and swollen, and some white (teeth) underneath, will start poking through. Good Luck!
    sarahlu

Answer by sarahlu at 9:57 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• HE IS TEETHING and dont let anyone tell you he is not. all those symptoms have been MY daughter since SHE was 3.5 to 4 months old and onward! poor things get so obsessed and uncomfortable. anyway, a finger to chew on is good, USE please these work and i ALWASY have them on me 2-3 teethign tablets, the DISSOLVING kind (they dissolve right in saliva under thir tongue or inside of their mouth) they are hyland's homeopathic teethign tablets. worked for my son (7 now) and now for my six month old. also, INFANTS drops of Acetaminophen (not ibuprofen til 2 yrs old) works wonders when given up to four times a day, see dosages. make sure it's infants tho and store BRAND like cvs is FINE. wet and refrigerate or freeze a washcloth and give it to him, refrigerate (not freeze) water-filled teething shapes, give toys like animals with rubber feet, or hard safe objects.... tylenol n 4 tablets at bedtime n she sleeps thru. blanket corners wk!
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 9:57 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• no but you can just feel the little bumps and buds forming under their gums
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 9:58 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• my son alwasy got ear infections tho from severe pain of his teething as he got toward 1 or 2 so be watchful of that!!! yikes. my daughter hasnt gotten that yet
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 10:00 PM on Sep. 22, 2010