Is it alright to steal groceries if you are hungry?

That is the reasoning some use to say it is alright to not pay your rent. So you steal the livelihood of your landlord. People charge things and do not pay for them. Then the rest of us have to pay more for things.

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 9:56 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• No it's never okay. I would not steal groceries no matter what. If my child swipes something I am quick to run in and bring it back. If my daughter takes a bite out an apple, I get one of equal size and pay for it.

I wouldn't be late on my rent. Our landlord counts on us to pay his rent because that is a major source of income for him. We count on him to provide us a place to live.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:06 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• at my apartment if you were 2 weeks late on rent you got eviction papers

I get that it's really hard right now but i could never steal anything. I would fee way too guilty and i wouldn't want my kids thinking it was ok either
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 10:01 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• If stealing groceries was my ONLY means of feeding my children then yes. Its not alright to just not pay rent but some people lose their jobs and genuinly cant pay their rent. Its sad all around.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 10:04 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• My BIL is a landlord. People assume that because he "owns" property he is wealthy. Well, many of those properties are mortgaged and have high taxes. People get, two, three months behind. He was having a real problem until I took over, because people would give him a sob story.

I would always say something like, I'm so sorry you are going through a hard time, I hope Paul can come up with the mortgage on your place so they don't foreclose"
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:14 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Are you a landlord, or just irked by what you've witnessed others doing? (I'm asking honestly - I agree that many people are idiots and think they can get away with stealing everything in life.)
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 10:05 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• If you had to steal to feed your family (and you weren't wasting money and resources on drugs and booze and ciggys), then it would not be wrong. The code of ethics works like this: Basic human needs first (clothing, shelter, food, love). Those are necessary to in order for us to live at all. Once those needs are met, we can get into ethics.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 10:08 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I don't think it's ok...I would think that if someone who needed food help and had no soup kitchens, family or resources could just stand out on a street corner with your kids and there should be plenty of people to help. I don't give money to people who say they are hungry like on the side of the road (because you don't want to enable any bad habit they have) but I will swing by a food place and buy them some food.
    RozPearcy

Answer by RozPearcy at 10:09 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• It's ok for people to not have cable in the first place, then they wouldn't have to worry about paying for it. Some people really are having a hard time, some are just plain stupid.
    FroggyFeet

Answer by FroggyFeet at 10:59 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• when i was homeless, and absolutely had no other means left, i would steal something small from produce, like a cucumber. i was in the suburbs and there was no soup kitchen around or anything like that around.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 10:05 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Some people have been laid off from their jobs and their livelyhood taken from them. It must be nice to have never had to worry about how you are going to feed yourself or your children. I haven't stolen from a grocery store but there were times I had to steal food from the restaurant I worked at when I was younger just so I could have something in my stomach. It's not a good place to be and you should have more compassion towards people. It's not always a persons fault why they are in the situation they are in. My fiance's job is laying people off again (the 5th layoff in 2 years) and we are scared to death we will lose everything we have.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 10:12 PM on Sep. 22, 2010