PITBULLS...3

SORRY DON'T POST IF I AM BOTHERING YOU...LOL
but i read people telling me to NOT HIT OR USE THE SHOCK COLLAR ON THIS DOGS...
WHY NOT...not that i want to hit it or use it just want to know why not?

iNk-FrEaK

Asked by iNk-FrEaK at 10:02 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Pets

• go old school and train your dog with respect. We have an American Pitbull Terrier and we raised her without shock collars or hitting her. you use positive reinforcement and you will come out with a baby of a pit. She is such a sweetheart her bark is worse than her bite, she will bark as if she is defending the house when someone is at the door but as soon as you open the door she jumps on you and begs you to pet her. that is the only thing that we really need to work on now is her jumping. treat her as if she is your baby not your husband or your friend, but your baby an infant baby and then you will be rewarded with love and respect throughout your years. I would also go ahead and do a lot of research on the breed and what the effects are on them with hitting and shock collars so you know more instead of just asking random people search the net and get to know your pet better and understand them better :) Good Luck
    meliscool72

Answer by meliscool72 at 1:54 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• people have a fear of pitbulls, just like years ago they had a fear of Chows. These dogs got a HORRIBLE reputation because some A holes like to fight them. ANYWAYS! With that being said. If the pitbull comes from a blood line that you are not sure of then you should be somewhat careful. If it was born from fighting dogs then it could have a more aggressive personality (even though you may not see it) using something like a shock collar can bring out these aggressive tendencies. The best way to tell what kind of blood line you got it from is by what the breeder (or whomever) called the breed. If they said it was a pure bred pitbull, thats not good. A pitbull is actually a terrier and should be referred to as one.
    We have a pitbull. he is the sweetest dog in the world. we had to use a shock collar on him and it did not effect his personality AT ALL!! So it really depends on the dog.
    (sorry for rambling, I love this breed) =)
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 10:07 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• the pit bull's "lock jaw" is actually a myth. they just have very very strong jaw muscles, and complete control over it. i love my pit, therefore i treat him with respect and tons of love. if you love your dog and be good to it it will do the same to you. i do recomend you teach your children to respect it. my dd gets punished for being mean to our dog. these dogs are known to "snap" and i would not want my child to be the one he does it on. they also need a lot of exercise and play. room to run is a must with this breed.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:19 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I dont agree with those methods for any dog....there are many other ways to train that wont hurt. But just one more thing to throw out there to you....if you don't want to get the sideways looks and lectures for owning a pitbull call them staffordshire terriors....that is there breeds real name. most people don't realize that and dont react the same way as they would hearing "pitbull".
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 10:33 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• if you use hitting as a punishment you are teaching the dog to be agressive. just like with any dog.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:06 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Why not.. would you use it on your children? Of course not right,same thing with a pet. Just because it is a dog doesn't mean to treat it like one KWIM...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:06 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• You shouldn't use or do either one of those, pitbull or not. It's cruel
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:09 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Pit bulls are supposed to be scary and aggressive. People who aren't educated on them are afraid of them and think they are vicious. I'm not saying that no pits are aggressive but as a breed they aren't. Many pits have been inbred and that can make for a dangerous combination. Personally I love these dogs. I have had several and they have been the best family dogs for me. Well behaved (as adults), not mean or aggressive but protective of my kids and me. The only scary thing about a pit bull is that their jaw locks and they have no control over it, they can't just let go. So if you do hit them and they snap at you like any dog might then they might accidentally lock their jaw and not be able to let go....
    Jesibekah

Answer by Jesibekah at 10:10 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I was leaning more towards the fact that they are super sensitive. The use of a shock collar will do more harm than good, and cause fear. The fear will turn to defensiveness, and from defensiveness may come aggression (any breed not just PB). The hitting is similar. Most of the time, vocally expressing your distaste for their actions is more than enough for a dog who has any kind of bond with you to try and do better. Especially with PB.
    nicome19

Answer by nicome19 at 10:34 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• My mom has had a pit bull for the past 13 yrs and she is a big baby doll. Pit Bulls act on how they are raised. If treated good they will be loyal and friendly dogs. If bad then you'll get the ones that turn on you and get mean. Its cruel to use shock collar or abuse any animal.

ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 12:02 AM on Sep. 23, 2010