what would you do?

I live less than half an hour away from more than one beach, so I take my 2 year old pretty much every weekend and on some of my days off. She loves the sand and the ocean, but always ends up swallowing bundles of seawater and then gets diarrhea. My mom says I should stop taking her to the beach, or at least stop letting her in the water. "Wading" isn't really an option, she will race into the waves so I just hold her hand and pull her back up when the waves knock her down. She loves it! I think that one afternoon and night's worth of diarrhea is worth all the fun she has swimming at the beach, and plus it's the only thing to do around here because it's still over 90 degrees past about 9am. There really doesn't seem to be any point in living in south Florida if we aren't on the beach as often as possible, but I don't like the diarrhea. Thoughts?

soflashelley

Asked by soflashelley at 10:12 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This is an interesting quandry...is your LO bothered by it? If not then there's your answer lol!
    RozPearcy

Answer by RozPearcy at 10:15 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• A little bit, she whines and pulls at her diaper.
    soflashelley

Comment by soflashelley (original poster) at 10:21 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• you need probably ot not let her get knocked down "ttooo" much, like a little less often, one or three good dunkings is cool, but for age 2 wading and splashin gand runnign in the shallow wakes shoudl be part of the plan and a well rounded trip to the waters edge. i LOVE the beach too but a lot of heavy salt water is probably really harsh on her afterward.. especially if the diarrhea is accompanied by cramps!!! ouuuch! thats sorta bad part. i fits just the runs then ok, but make sure you give her pedialyte so that she doesnt become dehydrated by repeated diarrhea... very dangerous for toddlers that age.. (nurses daughter here lol) but keep having FUN of course but no pain or dehydratedness. also watch ehr for sunburn unless shes a litle brown berry
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 10:21 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• very
    LoVe4Free

Answer by LoVe4Free at 10:21 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I think you should really watch how much water she swallows. Not only is it causing diarrhea but it's causing diarrhea because of all the contaminents in the water. What if something more harmful gets in there, and she swallows that? I don't think it's very safe for a 2 year old to be swallowing that much ocean water, especially it causes diarrhea every time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• watch ehr for sunburn unless shes a litle brown berry

umm what is that supposed to mean? i hope u didnt mean it how that sounded. and even if she was darker being exposed to uv rays is not a good thing...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Anytime an toddler has diarrhea isn't good. I don't know any parent who don't mind her baby drinking NASTY ocean water. All kinds of BACTERIA is in the water like body fluids,feces and dead sea animals ect.. Would you drink nasty water in a glass someone handed to you? I think not. I understand that you think there's nothing for you to do in Florida. Other then going to the beach. What happen to the story time at the library,parks or the zoo? You have to use your resources do some research. Try google or ask.com. Try something that is SAFE for your baby. Far as diarrhea goes you know how you feel when you can't stop SHITTING. It should be a lesson learned.
    TwannaB.

Answer by TwannaB. at 12:50 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Parks and the zoo are actually no good right now, because it's so hot that she's miserable in less than an hour (along with me, and anyone else with us- i'm close enough to the keys that summer doesn't really end until after Christmas). We do story hour at the library, that's 45min per week.

And she doesn't sunburn easily, although I do use spf 40 on her every time we hit the beach, she's pretty dark (Italian/Spanish heritage) and just seems to get more brown instead of red.
    soflashelley

Comment by soflashelley (original poster) at 12:26 PM on Sep. 23, 2010