Anyone ever taste their own breastmilk? I mean really taste it.

I pump exclusively and I once licked a tiny drop off my wrist to test its warmth before giving it to baby. It wasn't enough to get a good sense of what tasted like though. Just wondering if anyone ever took a good taste, like a big gulp of it, and if so, what did you think?

CarriePM

Asked by CarriePM at 10:22 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• I did, it's very sweet and kinda reminds me of rice milk. I figured if i'm feeding it to my son then I should taste it too.
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 10:25 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Yes. And it's really pretty good. You have to try it fresh, not after it's been frozen or in the fridge...
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 10:26 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• not a big gulp but a ood slurp, i cleaned off my little mushmouth daughter after a big feedign and it was leakign out of her mouth, so i slurped it off half of my hand, and it is WARm, SUGARY and slippery and satisfying!! sort of fatty . you know you have foremilk which is watery and thin and bluish, then hindmilk after about five minutes and THAt is fattier, creamier and full of nutrients and antibodies. so is the foremilk but thatis more antibodies and water. my husband even tried it and said it was good lol. then he didnt anymore LOL
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 10:26 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I may have to give it a gulp!
    CarriePM

Comment by CarriePM (original poster) at 10:29 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I never tried mine, but I had to read the responses...and silverelf, I officially LOL'd until I was crying! I did not expect someone to say "warm, sugary, slippery, and satisfying!!" I don't know why, but it caught me so off guard. LMAO
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 10:30 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I took a sip once. It was sweet. If it wasn't warm i'd probably have drunk more. Lol.
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 10:30 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Yeah, it's sweet... it's the consistency of soy milk...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:36 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I did. It tasted sweet.. to me it tasted like the milk that is leftover after having a sweetened cereal.. sort of like a mix between Cap'n Crunch milk and Golden Grahams milk.. lol
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 10:46 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I dont have anything against breastfeeding but the thought of drinking my own breastmilk makes my stomach churn. I never have and never had the desire to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• @ Anon...

I bet baby cows, goats and sheep feel the same about drinking human milk. They grew up only drinking the milk of their own kind afterall!!
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 10:56 PM on Sep. 22, 2010