math is not making sense, why?

My little 2nd grader has a block from thinking with numbers. Instead of just adding them he will take the number 7 +5 and make it 7,.....5 times.
I will try to make it a literal game, with poker chips and let him count the chips and then add the 5 onto the 7 and get the = (answer) that way

How do you help your little one count with math problems.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:31 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• we have to do the same thing...he misses numbers or doubles them when he counts, used to be told it was the side of the brain you think with or something like that...I HATED math and still do and have to read his goofy math problems about 4 times before I understand it and he's in 2nd grade also. The material help works best I think in this situation I have about 14 boxes of cheerios I could send you a few to use as counters LOL
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 10:38 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Have you had his vision checked?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:38 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• It is most likely a learning disability ...i have never been able to absorb numbers and neither have 2 of my kids, we 3 have a learning disability. Ask you school to do some testing and write up and IEP and get some one on one help
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 10:47 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• he may be advanced! and is thinking in terms of multiplication already! if he makes five sevens for five plus seven! be patient and dont make him nervous. i had to slowly repeat a concept to my seven year old to count ahead when adding numbers because he didnt get it,,, he was just memorizing the answers to sums without any understanding of it, and he gets straight A's!! so, just find different ways to teach that, ACTUALLY LITERALLY SAY, because kids dont knwo what the heck a plus sign even IS! it may look scary! SAY: the plus sign means to add five "counts" to seven,,, like five number "spaces" not the actual number five OR seven honey! Kids are VERY literal, so he is really smart in only SEEING the five or seven and tryign to to do what it says.. tell him the actuall numbers are just signalling us to count ahead... you have seven and need to go five spaces ahead, liek in a board game!! See? no one plays board games anymore!
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 10:54 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I agree with having him tested and I also agree with the previous answer here. My son can answer any math problem we give him, in his head, but when he has to show the work he gets blocked. He does it in a more advanced way so doing the baby steps frustrates him.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 6:49 AM on Sep. 25, 2010