Ok, So I want to take my son on play dates with other moms but I am shy....

I use to be really outgoing but now that I have a baby I am very cautious when it comes to my child and that has made me INCREDIBLY shy! I dont know how to approach people at the park and just say "hey! it looks like our kids get along well! we should let them play together sometime!" I feel like such an idiot doing so. I feel like Im making my son miss out on playing with other children his age and having fun! :(
How do I come out of my shell when it comes to talking to other mothers?

Alysia_Moore

Asked by Alysia_Moore at 10:46 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm the same way, one reason I couldn't get into doing it. That and lack of time. I found out that unless you are a SAHM, you don't have time. Every activity is planned during the daytime when you're at work. Anyway, there are mom's clubs, if you Google, you will find something. I know there's a specific one that has groups all over the country, but I can't remember the name of it. Something like Meetups, or that? Maybe someone else can help.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 10:52 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I'm the same way. I have really bad social anxiety to the point to where I shake and get really dizzy. I haven't been able to go anywhere alone for almost 8 years now. I recently became a sahm, and I would love to get my 18 mo dd into a playgroup. I feel like I'm robbing her bc I can't just get up and take her to the park like a normal mom, or to the next door to play with the little boy that's the same age as her. I feel like I fail her everyday she looks out the window and wants to go out, but can't until daddy gets home. I really wish i could give you advice on what to do to get over your shyness. Good luck.
    piercedbeauty21

Answer by piercedbeauty21 at 10:58 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I'm the same way. My husband usually gets everyone we meet talking to him and I get so mad at him because I want to be able to do that! I have tried going to story time at the library and taking the kids to the park by myself and it is always the same thing...we play by ourselves. Occasionally someone will come up and comment on my daughters hair (12 months) being up in pig tails but that's about it! haven't found any mom's clubs and usually the mom's are about 10 years older than me which makes me feel kind of weird =o/
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 11:02 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• www.meetup.com You can find a meetup group for almost any subject including Moms Groups or playgroups. Free to join the site and most groups are free as well. You can search by zip code.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 11:12 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• i'm shy too. i'm a sahm and i don't know anyone where i live who has children my son's age. i go to the park but i'm too shy to ask any of the moms about play dates. like above poster said try joining a group for moms in your town.
    xavierlogan09

Answer by xavierlogan09 at 12:06 AM on Sep. 23, 2010