What Is God?

At work last night during break someone had an interesting question. We were talking about Mormons and Jehovas Witnesses who would go door to door and how we reacted to them. On girl said she would talk to them and ask questions they couldn't answer, now I'm curious.

The Bible says God is love.
Love is not jealous or boastful.
If God is jealous and boastful, then how does God=Love?

I haven't tried too look up any answers in the Bible because I don't know where to look. I was raised Baptist but I haven't been to Church regularly in years. Recently I've started reading the Bible again but I haven't gotten far.

FroggyFeet

Asked by FroggyFeet at 10:47 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• just keep on reading no one can tell you you will know for yourself what is true
    LoVe4Free

Answer by LoVe4Free at 10:54 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• These questions are only unanswerable if you believe what the bible says! Frankly, I don't believe the bible. I don't believe "God is Love" or that God is even perfect in any way. To me, the Gods are simply a "higher power" or "higher beings" than we are... With all the personality and flaws that we have... Nature is far from perfect, but that doesn't mean it's not beautiful and powerful.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:01 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• What do you want God to be????? What ever someone tells you, that may not be the answer for you. Your own faith if acquired in God will surely give you the true answer that you seek.
    peacockmom

Answer by peacockmom at 11:07 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Do you believe that love is jealous and boastful?
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 11:23 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• GOD IS GOD, He is love, everlasting...He is everything... God is the true GOD.... The bible is the true word of GOD, And he is love.. he is real..The bible is a light unto our path to follow.. We were born to serve him. to live for him...
    Modestdresses

Answer by Modestdresses at 11:45 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• At this point I believe in God. What I question is if everything in the Bible is 100% correct. If it was written by man and translated by man I wonder how many times it was translated a little different or if opionions have swayed how it was written. I'm trying to figure out what the facts are. I don't buy the "read the Bible and all the answers will be there" or "pray and ask God and he will tell you" answers. It's to vague for me. How do you really know what He's saying? There has to be concrete facts somewhere. I have a hard time believeing that God is what you need him to be or what your opionion of him happens to be. It would be way too easy to believe only what you want that way. What I put in the first post is a contradiction. If love is not jealous and God is Love, then how is God love? I haven't read much yet but I have gotten to the part where it said God is love and God is jealous. It just dosent make sense.
    FroggyFeet

Comment by FroggyFeet (original poster) at 12:14 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Froggy, There lies my problem with the Bible. I believe God, the Higher Power, by whatever name, is something BEYOND our understanding. The Bible though... was translated over and over, by people - who could make mistakes, or change things on purpose.

Look at this this way: Take any phrase. Translate it from English to Spanish, then Spanish to German, then German back to English. Is it the same phrase? No. Maybe it's close, maybe it's way off..... The books of the Bible went from Aramaic and Latin and Greek through how many linguistic changes?

If you want to have faith, have faith in the higher power and how it speaks to your heart, not in what may very well be a 2,000 year old game of Telephone.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:20 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• What Is God?

The Goddess' consort.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:43 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• God isnt a what but a who :=)

The jealousy man has and God has are two different things.
    You have to see it in context.

God is jealous over His Bride ( the church, thats us). He is protective of His bride whom He loves
    The jealousy mankind carries is very different the heart of it is wrong. Its coveting and wanting something that doesnt belong to you. Thats the difference.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:59 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Shaneagle777- Simply wording something in a different ways doesn't make it different. Being jealous is being jealous and the God of the Bible sure as hell does covet attention and get pissed when humans turn from him as the Bible clearly shows. Just because God is supposedly the supreme being, doesn't make his negative emotions 'good', they are exactly the same as human emotions- so if human emotions and feelings are wrong, then so are his. Man has free will as you people love to say and so he gives you free will to decide whether you want to belong to him or not and if you chose not to, then he is wanting something that doesn't belong to him. I know you see it differently because you feel all of his creations belong to  him, so he's not really coveting anything, but I don't see it that way.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:16 AM on Sep. 23, 2010