How long do u stay i your kids room when u put them to bed?

My lil one is 4yrs old n i always try to put him to bed from 8:30pm to 9pm, now he always wants for me to stay there w/him untill he falls asleep, right now i gave him a kiss n told him i was going to the living room, i can still hear him calling me so i yelled at him n told him to go to sleep, i kinda feel bad but do i really need to stay there or am i being mean?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Til they are asleep. I wouldn't leave them in there awake unless they wanted me to.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:03 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I read my kids two books then give them a hug and kiss and tell them goodnight. I then leave the room and most of the time I dont hear from them.
    alaskansglmom

Answer by alaskansglmom at 11:23 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• We have a bed time ritual and have since my daughter started sleeping in her own room. She puts on her jammies, brushes her teeth, we read two books (one is her choice and the other is mine) and then we say our prayers. The only issue I ever have with her is sometimes she wants us to read an extra book. It works but to get her to start doing it was an adventure in her crying to sleep. Which broke my heart but needed to be done.
    justduckie_mom

Answer by justduckie_mom at 11:23 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I tuck my dd in sometimes i will lay with her for a second then leave the room. Most of the time she tells me to leave and she wont go to sleep until after she is alone.
    ShireeCS

Answer by ShireeCS at 11:27 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• We read a book and I give hugs n kisses n luv and than I try to leave. If it weren't for my Hubby I might stay in there for hours, which wouldn't help them sleep at all. There is absolutely nothing wrong with you leaving him in there to go to sleep. It may take some crying nights, but he will realize that bed time is bed time. :) GL! I know it's really tough and heartbreaking.
    young-not-dumb

Answer by young-not-dumb at 11:45 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• My dd is two, and I hold her until she either falls asleep or is a bit drowsy. She used to go to bed awake, but since we just got back from our vacation, she has been a little clingy. I don't mind. I love cuddling with her. She's my baby!!
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 12:44 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I dont stay in there with them anymore. When they were younger yes. But we say our prayers and I leave. I NEVER shut the door until I know they are asleep. Majority of the time once i'm gone they start cracking jokes with each other and stuff like that. I can hear them in there and its pretty funny.

Unless they asked me to stay, I dont.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 3:47 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• You're not being mean; you're being a good parent.

Falling asleep alone is a skill that children need to master in order to go on to the next stage of emotional development. In fact, when children gain the ability to fall asleep alone their overall behavior usually improves. Once you leave the room there is no need to yell at your son. Let him know beforehand that you will not be responding to him once you have kissed goodnight.

www.filedby.com/author/linda_griffin/1127154/

teacher-author

Answer by teacher-author at 9:56 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• About 30 seconds.  As long as it takes to say "good-night, love ya" and flip off the lights.  That is IF I even go in their room at bedtime.  Usually they put themselves to sleep.  They all come and say good-night and give me a hug and then go get in bed.  The only time I have to go to their rooms is if they are screwing around and I have to yell at them to get to bed (like last night).  Then I wait to make sure they all actually get in bed and turn out the light, close the door and go about my night.

That's how we've always done it since they were babies (they are 10, almost 9, almost 8 and 4 1/2 now).

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:45 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I put mine in bed, give them kisses and leave the room.
    singlemomof2nok

Answer by singlemomof2nok at 1:00 PM on Sep. 23, 2010