narcotics and pregnancy

alrite, i just took this online quiz about pregnancy IQ. i got a question wrong about how if your on narcotics when during the pregnancy your baby will be born addicted to it. i said it was false and it said it was true. i know what i'm talking about though, my last pregnancy i had kidney stones (really bad) and i was admitted in the hospital for 2 weeks because it was hard for them to figure out what was wrong with me because there were certain tests and things they couldn't do but they knew there was something wrong. well after awhile they found out it was a really big kidney stone that could not removed till after the pregnancy and decided i had to go for surgery to have a nephrostomy tube placed ( a tube thats inserted into your kidney that removes the liquid and built up stuff that can't make it it out and releases it into a bag that wrapped around ur leg, pretty embarrassing)

xdeviouskittyxx

Asked by xdeviouskittyxx at 11:21 AM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Pregnancy

• well during that whole time i was on morphine and painkillers and then when i was finally allowed to go home with my tube and everything ( of course i had a nurse come to my house 3 times a week and a vital signs thing connected to my phone) they sent me home with antibiotics and percacet. now i didn't take them as much as i probably should of, the doctors said it was ok to take them because i was farther along and it would just make my baby sleepy. but sometimes, i braved the pain cuz i didn't like when the baby was sleeping and not kicking me it made me nervous..anyways... i took the percacets before and after my daughter was born and she wasn't addcited to anything and perfect as possible. isn't percacets a narcotic?? it said so on the bottle....what do u think? has anyone had major problems during their pregnancies that needed pain mediacation?? am i the only one who had a normal not druggie newborn?
    xdeviouskittyxx

Answer by xdeviouskittyxx at 11:21 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• They are probably talking about overdoing the drugs and sending a lot of junk into your babies system. She could have been slightly addicted and you wouldn't have even known it. Lots of kids are born addicted to drugs and alcohol, they are commonly referred to as crack babies.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:56 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• she might become addicted to those easier when she is older.
    BabyGsMaMa13

Answer by BabyGsMaMa13 at 2:59 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• When abusing narcotics, the baby coud become addicted. It sounded like you used them appropriately so you didn't have a baby with addiction.
    Momby4kids

Answer by Momby4kids at 5:41 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• if you are not addicted and are not a heavy user, a baby should be fine but if you shoot up heroin or smoke crack your baby will not be ok they are never perscribed... a perscribed med like percs has been approved and re approved... a baby will be fine. they wouldnt tell you to take them if it was not ok.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Oct. 21, 2008