have you heard the reports that place american schools in the bottom in math and science?

are you going to do anything different with your children because of this?

happy2bmom25

Asked by happy2bmom25 at 11:06 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I am going to vote for a governor that will promote education in our state. Pawlenty has cut the money for public education so much in our state, our schools are having to cut core curriculum teaching staff (math and science specifically). And now he wants to run for president... Remember that name... we don't want him as a president!
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 11:12 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Doesn't surprise me. They over pack classes and most teachers don't stick to the problems for very long. They are trying to cram to much info in such a short period of time and mos kids need more time to learn the subject but teachers can't stay on it because they have to move on to other things they are required to teach as well.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:12 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• i dont care and no im not going to. i dont plan on living anywhere else besides america so it wont really matter, will it?
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:12 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I think if parents were more involved with their childrens' education and stressed that education is imporatnt,it would help. As it is now, parents don't even teach their kids to be respectful and quiet in school. Kids need manners . It seems to me that bythe time kids are in high school,all they care about is partying and having sex and some of them are trying to get pregnant because their parents don't care about disciplining them or setting a good example for them. Kids have no goals and no motivation to succeed or even plan for the future. MAth and science scores will naturally go up if education is a top priority for kids AND their parents. It is scary how many Moms here at CM barely know how to spell . School doesn't seem to be important to them.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:14 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I agree----please DON"T vote for Pawlenty. He is so anti-education it is disgusting. It is just a shame.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:16 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• i don't really think this is new information. when i was in college, there were very few american teaching assistants in the maths and sciences. i live in a very diverse neighborhood, and many other cultures are educating beyond the public school curriculum. i don't think putting more money into education is going to help. i really feel like we should just copy the curriculum of the countries that are out performing us. that shouldn't cost too much money.
    my kids are only just starting school. Singapore introduces multiplication and division in the first grade.
    i am going to try to at least introduce multiplication to my 1st grader this year.
    happy2bmom25

Comment by happy2bmom25 (original poster) at 11:19 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• gertie, i agree with you about parents making education a priority for their kids.
    happy2bmom25

Comment by happy2bmom25 (original poster) at 11:20 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• No surprise there. it's sad. M son is math and science driven so I have to hold him back if anything but it's still scary.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 6:47 AM on Sep. 25, 2010