How can I put my 13 month old down to bed without her fighting me?

If there is anyone out there that can help me I would like it. My daughter fights me every night I try to put her to bed. She screams till I pick her up.

Mommyoftwo86

Asked by Mommyoftwo86 at 11:14 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• routine routine routine! choose something you can stick with nightly, it will still be hard for prob a week or maybe even longer but make everything the same(as much as possible) the more you do this she will begin to realize that bedtime starts with a bath, dressing in jammies, followed by brushing teeth, reading a book, rokcing for a few minutes but not to sleep, hugs and kisses and then to bed. she will prob be mad as ever at first but i promise if you stick to it it will get easier and she will begin to go with the routine freely as children love structure nad find comfort in what they know and depend on!
    fairytale2mommy

Answer by fairytale2mommy at 11:19 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Ok I will try that starting tomorrow night for sure thanks alot!!!!
    Mommyoftwo86

Comment by Mommyoftwo86 (original poster) at 11:22 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• further read your post...dont ever pick her up...talk to her from her crib reassuring her you love her lean over n quickly kiss her if you must but never get her back out of the crib..i know its hard i had one that would throw a fit until she got sick but i promise within a week she was used to routine n knew we werent giving in..hang in there... scream into a pillow if you must..i know the mommy guilt kills you!
    fairytale2mommy

Answer by fairytale2mommy at 11:22 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• To be truthful I have tried the routines but they never worked but I kept giving up I need to quite giving in but she is my third daughter and I am tring to do things with her that I didn't do with my older two.
    Mommyoftwo86

Comment by Mommyoftwo86 (original poster) at 11:42 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• My daughter was like that when she was that age. If your concern try talking to her doctor. It's hard to dealing with from time to time I know. I play with my daughter two hours before her bedtime. Then I would take her a warm bubble bath after that I would give her warm milk in her sip cup. The first couple days it worked. Then she started all over so I would do the same routine as ALWAYS. I would hold her until she fall asleep. Then put her to bed, I also put a night lite in her room instead of turning a lamp on. You can also try alittle medicine like NIGHT TIME cold and cough less then a half of teaspoon. And NO your not drugging her you helping her relax so she can get some rest. Which lets you relax and get some rest too.
    TwannaB.

Answer by TwannaB. at 11:42 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Ok I will try anything but she doesn't go back to see her nurse till she is 15 months old that is two months away. I will try anything because I think I also have spolied her because I didn't do what I am doing with her that I wish I could have been doing with my older two when they were that age. After my middle daughter I had postpardom depression. I also had major depression but I don't have none of that now so it seems like I'm doing more now then I every did. Plus she only gets a bath every other night.
    Mommyoftwo86

Comment by Mommyoftwo86 (original poster) at 11:49 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• wow really? you are gonna give your kid sleeping medicing??!! that is nuts, 1. you should not be giving meds to your child unnecessarily, their body will grow an immunity and when she needs it, it wont work. 2. they dont make night time medicine for kids under 2 and 3. she will grow to be dependent on it.
    personally, and im hard on my son, i would perform my night time routine (for us its dinner, bath, lotion and pj's, bedtime story and prayers and then i put him in bed cover him up give him a kiss and turn out his light and pull his door to. he goes right to sleep no muss no fuss. obviously it hasnt always been that way, when he first started sleeping in his room (10 mths ago) he screamed for like the first 3 days or so, screaming takes a lot of energy and they will wear themselves out and go to sleep. there are times every now and again that he has a bad night, and at this point i will go sit or lay with him but not often
    nessamarie

Answer by nessamarie at 12:00 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I would never do the meds. but the warm milk and everything us too. I watched the news were a women was charged with drugging babies as young as three months old.
    Mommyoftwo86

Comment by Mommyoftwo86 (original poster) at 12:03 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I agree that drugging your child to get a break is wrong. No joke, my daughters peditrition TOLD my husband and I to give her benedryl to make her sleep when we wanted her to.
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 3:37 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• When she screams and you end up picking her up you reward the screaming behavior. In her mind screaming loud enough and long enough gets her what she wants. The only way to break it is to not pick her up when she screams. Rub her back and comfort her. Give her a stuffed animal. But do mot pick her up. I did this with my twins. My husband would try to pick them up if they fussed a bit but I didn't let him. I comforted them but would not pick them up after they went to bed. (There are exceptions when they are sick) now they are 14 months and they sleep very well. They are down by 9 pm at least, fall asleep alone, and pretty much don't make any fuss until 7 am. Occasionally they wake up at night but they know the routine and they never cry at bedtime.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 8:21 AM on Sep. 23, 2010