are highlights the best way to cover grays at my age?

i am only 40... have gotten highlights to cover my grays, i have chestnut brown hair that takes blonding very well and naturally not too harsh or dry. good hair which does its own thing and takes care of itself. but are there any other methods other than single process coloring that people do?

silverelf

Asked by silverelf at 11:20 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• There are a number of options. What do you want ? High light, low light peekaboo, all blonde, one color. I would suggest looking closely at pictures in magazines etc until you find what you like. You can always play with semi-permanant colors. It is a fun was to experiment with new and different colors without permanant. It lasts for a little over a month for the most part. What ever you do, stay away from Feria if you color your own hair. It is near impossible to fix if something goes wrong as they are metalic based. I am almost 50 ( that hurt - 1st time I ever said that ) and love my peekaboo. I totally bleach the top portion and leave the bottom the way it is, You don't even notice the gray hair underneath. I don't like the solid bleach blonde so I process it in time intervals so there is some variation of blonde shades. Anyway, Have fun and enjoy it all. Hugs !!
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 11:38 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• lol!! I am trying to dye my hair grey. We have the opposite problem. I think grey looks really cool in chunks. I think you should keep it :) I have a multicolored head right now, and I looove it. Except for when I went to pawn my xbox, the guy behind the counter said "so...whats your hair color?? rainbow of shades?"
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 3:32 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• i get my hair colored every five weeks (66) - the first week i get the entire head colored - the next 5 weeks i only get the roots done - then the following 5 weeks i get the whole head done again and so on - this is so that my hair doesn't get "over-colored" - i get highlights usually in the summer - they look great with a tan - again, i get full highlights - then partial highlights the next 5 weeks and the next 5 weeks and full highlights the next 5 weeks - i have great stylist who has me using the right products to take care of my colored hair so that it does not lose its color or its body ..... or its softness...
    kaysimon132461

Answer by kaysimon132461 at 7:03 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I get highlights to cover my greys.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:19 PM on Sep. 23, 2010