To all parents

Would you want to be a child in todays society? And you can't consider the technology as the only reason to....think of everything as a whole. the good and the bad....Education, medical care, teen pressures, violence, etc.

I am doing this for a paper....I need some opinions of a group....I don't care if it is a good, bad, or in the middle....I need parents (anyone raising children) so any help even the smallest.....Thank you to anyone who post an opinion

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 PM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I wouldn't want to be a kid growing up in today's society. It's too scary. I used to be allowed to go outside and play until dinner...now parents can not allow their children to do that due to so many fears (abductors, molesters, violence, etc.) So many things are different now than when we were little which is why we can not raise our children the same way our parents raised us.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 6:54 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Yes, I think I would. Kids have more emotional and educational support than ever. There's huge awareness of things, like the Autism spectrum, etc, that simply weren't around when I was younger.

lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:53 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I think children today are missing out on some of the very simpler joys in life that I enjoyed in my childhood. I am 38 and it seems like my generation was the last to truly play outdoors ALL DAY ALL SUMMER LONG, to catch fireflys, to be able to run all over the neighborhood and know you had till the streetlights came on to be home. Kids today live in a more dangerous world it seems. where being able to have that freedom to explore is now gone because its just too dangerous with all the pedos, killers, stalkers out there that thanks to the internet have NEVER BEFORE SEEN ACCESS TO CHILDREN and thier informatino to find them.
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 9:28 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Yes. Kids today have everything at their finger tips... Great food, great education options, all the technology and medical advances they could ever wish for... When I was a kid, there were no computers, no games, no leap frog... I remember being shut outside with nothing to do because my mother simply couldn't listen to us any more... And there is no more pressure, exposure or violence than there was when I was a kid... In fact, I think if anything, there is more help for victims today than there was then - so really, I think out kids have it awesome... I wish I could be a kid today rather than 30 years ago!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:55 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Not really with the way parents are up their kids butts constantly monitoring them with GPS and giving them no freedom or independence.  I loved my childhood wandering around my Chicago neighborhood, taking the bus to the mall to catch a movie when I was 12, riding my bike all over the place, going downtown on the L when I wa 16 to spend the day walking along the lakshore and going up to Lincoln Park zoo, etc.  I'd probably be arrested for neglect if I let my kids do those things now a days and it was perfectly normal back then (back then being the late 80s/early 90s)

I wouldn't want to be a kid now.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:10 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I'm not sure because there are advantages between the two. Back in the day children knew how to use their imaginations and go outside to play, was never into adult conversations, was always eager to help aroud the house ect...in todays world children do have better education, better technology, true freedom of speech, ect; although, we have more crime, more video games, kids dont know how to be creative and figure things out on their own, and god forbid should you as a parent as them to help pick up around the house.....
    Alysa505

Answer by Alysa505 at 11:11 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• No. I grew up when it was considered safe to roam the neighborhood as a kid. All the kids on our street played outside together from first thing in the morning until the last thing at night. I was 5 years old walking the 2 miles to school with all of our friends. It was great times.

You wouldn't think of allowing that now. A 5 year old walking down the street alone would probably result in a call to the cops or CPS. But it was okay then, because there was safety in numbers and we all did it. Plus we were latch key kids. Your parents worked, couldn't afford a baby sitter... no problem.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 11:18 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• This day and age? I'm not sure. I, like many others, am doing the best I can given the things going on with diets, medical and health care, education. I actually loved it growing up in the 80s and 90s. From what I remember, sex wasn't nearly as common in music as it is today. The cartoons from back then had much more substance to them, I think. Remember Saturday morning cartoons when they were worth a damn? I was always flipping between the three major networks to catch my cartoons. The rest of the day was spent outside playing.

I'd rather stick with the generation I grew up with, with some late 70s thrown in for flavor.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 3:41 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I would not want to be a kid again. Well...a kid, sure, but would hate to go through junior high and high school again. I think kids are meaner and have more available to them to express it. Well..maybe not meanER, but they DO have more ways to get at people and it bothers me a little to think my kids are going to have to go through that. Sure there are good things - more educational opportunities, more sports available than when I was in school, and things like that, but I don't think I would want to be a kid in today's society.
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 12:16 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I would, but only if I had solid parents with morals and maturity, (like the ones I do have!). There are so many good things about the present, but also a lot of bad influences that seem more readily accessible due to the internet and relaxed attitudes. So yes, but only with decent parents.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 5:43 AM on Sep. 23, 2010