What would you do if...........?

I hate when people ask me this phrase, regardless of the ending. Because regardless of the ending or the subject, I always answer the same way (I do not know!, because I am unable to see the future)! People (especially my SO) get angry when I respond this way. The FACT is that no one can possibly know exactly how they will react or what they will say in any situation until they are literally in it. How do you feel about this?

truthteller0722

Asked by truthteller0722 at 12:00 AM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Relationships

• that's very true. you can't know how you will react to a situation until you are in that situation. i just tell people to stop asking me those questions since i don't have the answers they are looking for.
    xavierlogan09

Answer by xavierlogan09 at 12:03 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I would leave him if I were you. You deserve to be treated better. Sorry.....got confused, as that's the stock-answer I've read about 1,000,000,000,000 times. I think most of those answers are how we'd "like to react" if we were not emotionally charged and thinking clearly. You know, how you always think of the greatest comeback about 10 minutes after the entire ordeal is over? Well, this forum gives us that exact opportunity!!
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 12:04 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I think you are over thinking it. When someone asks you that, they are asking for advice, what you think THEY should do. What you are basically saying is you're not going to think it through and help them out.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:07 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• it's like that show "what would you do" you can never really know until you are put in that position.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:09 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• @DMac08.......everything you said is very true! But if the person specifically asks that question, than you are supposed to put yourself in their shoes which I am unable to do. And when it's happening (especially if emotions and or adrenaline are running high), you won't have those 10 minutes! You would need to react in the moment just as that person did, I guess I just think it's an unfair question to ask anyone especially if they want a truthful answer (and I don't give anything other than 100% truthful answers to everyone).
    truthteller0722

Comment by truthteller0722 (original poster) at 12:11 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Unless I've been in the situation or in a similar one, I usually don't answer. They don't bother me, though, because usually there is at least one person out there who has been there and can offer advice. If it seems like a legitimate question that needs answers, I'll bump if I can't give advice.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 12:35 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• You can think about it all you want, but you will never be able to figure out people. We're not mind readers. We can imagine all we want but we will never know what will happens until you get there.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:41 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• @lovinangels......I think you are under-thinking it, I won't give someone whom I care about some bullshit answer just to soothe them at the moment. That's not what I would expect from others, so I refuse to give it to them. I give people what I expect to receive from them, that's just the way I live my life every day.
    truthteller0722

Comment by truthteller0722 (original poster) at 1:10 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I agree.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 1:38 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• It's just another way of asking for advice, which in all likelihood the asker won't end up taking becausemost of the time when people "ask for advice" what they really want is to be told what they want to hear, not what would actually work to solve their problem.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 7:23 AM on Sep. 23, 2010