eczema?

My son has bad eczema right behind his knees. What I can buy to rub in that area? I want something that is worth my money.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Health

• aquaphor you can get it at any store. My derm. told me to use it and it works. good luck
    MommyTessier

Answer by MommyTessier at 11:29 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Aveeno fragrance free daily moisterizing lotion (it has no dyes or fragrance) Or Cetaphil cream in the tub. Both are excellent choices. Both recommended by our Dermatologist. Also, water draws moisture out of the skin. Bathe less frequently. If you MUST bathe daily: quick , lukewarm showers , hand held shower heads make this easy with small children.
    If you need a perscription from a Dr...ask for Verdeso Foam. It is the ONLY product that has healed open areas on my grandson. Great Stuff.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:30 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Yes, because of the eczema I try not to bathe my son as much as I would like,lol. Question though...does anyone know if Aveeno carries a bar soap?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Aveeno also now has an Eczema cream - it is the 24 hour cream.  Aveeno has a baby bath also, and a couple of other products good for Ecema, and it will say on the tube (it's not a bar) it's fragrance-free and safe for Eczema.  They make a pretty good butt-cream and sunscreen, too!

willowthequeen

Answer by willowthequeen at 11:55 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Pretty simple, coconut oil. Here are a couple of articles that might help you understand how coconut oil can help his eczema...

Special Report: Eczema

You Can Reduce Acne, Eczema, Psoriasis and Contact Dermatitis

Relieve Dry Skin on Your Entire BodyThis one contains links to the National Library of Medicine regarding coconut oil and it's effectiveness at extreme dry skin issues. Eczema is an allergic reaction - get rid of the allergens, and moisturize, and the eczema should go away.

Neminly

Answer by Neminly at 11:58 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• UGGH! I hate baby bath. My son is 5 I need something better then liquid soap. Thanks for the suggestions Ladies!
    Anonymous

• Aveeno does have a bath bar as well as numerous other products.
    You can get aquaphor or eucerin both work extremely well. If they do not work for your son you may want to ask your doctor about Elidel, I have been prescribed Elidel and it works great to get rid of a patch and then I just use Eucerin or Aquaphor to keep it nice and smooth.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 12:37 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• oh also when you do bathe him rub the lotion on before he completely dries it helps to hold in some of the moisture from the bath. (this works for just plain old dry skin too!)
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 12:38 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Aveeno is awesome. That's what I use on 2 of my kids that have eczema. They have a bar soap and a liquid soap...and we also use the lotion in the winter.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:43 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• My DS had it terribly over a large part of his body and NONE of the over the counter stuff was working. We eventually had to take him to the Dr. and get a mild combination steroid cream that did the trick almost instantanously. So if it doesn't go away, please go see the Dr. or it will get worse. I waited too long and felt terrible after that...
    icook

Answer by icook at 1:20 PM on Oct. 20, 2008