My newborn (8 days old), has not pooped in about 4 days!

My newborn (8 days old), has not pooped in about 4 days! We've had some issues with breastfeeding and he lost about 2 lbs within the 1st 6 days and the last stool he had was still that black tarry type. Since then, we've made adjustments to the regular feeding schedule (breast milk whether direct or pumped) and supplements (formula) and it seems he's getting the appropriate intake now yet, still no poop! Any suggestions as to why and how to help him? I've been told suppositories are the best option but his dr told me not to worry about that too much right now and to just concentrate on getting his weight up the poop will come eventually. Something inside me tells me I shouldn't wait though. Any thoughts? Im a brand new mommy!

kk8878

Asked by kk8878 at 12:24 AM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it is actually pretty normal. The thing is to make sure he's having enough wet diapers. Remember, there's not a lot of solid waste in what he's eating.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:30 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I'd call his DR ASAP!! and in the mean time, rub his belly lightly, up the ascending colon, across the transverse, and down the descending.
    mommy2mason529

Answer by mommy2mason529 at 12:31 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Stop the formula! First! Just BF! Even if you add it again later! A breastfed baby (that ONLY has breastmilk) can go a week or two with out a BM. Mine usually went from a BM after each feeding, so not having one for up to two weeks, once they were about 2 or 3 mos old. DO NOT give him a suppository! He is WAY WAY WAY to young for that, also NO water, NO juice, NO ANYTHING other than breastmilk idealy (or formula) Please consider only BFing for at least the first 6 wks! It will do wonders on his bowels! You can send me a pm if you want to ask more questions, or join the breastfeeding group! They can help as well!
    clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 12:32 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Everyone has different opinions on this...but my Dr. said 5-6 days is normal. Especially if he is just getting formula for the first time. Some people suggested to me putting a tablespoon of chamomile tea or castrol oil in their bottle to help move things along. But it is a little early for that in your situation. If the baby does not seem to be in some kind of discomfort then I would not worry about it too much..it will happen sooner or later!
    LiviLove613

Answer by LiviLove613 at 11:29 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I have a two week old. She only has a bm every 4-5 days. Doc. said it's normal and not to worry. With my first son...we bought little suppositories. We had to stick them a little ways up his rear and leave it for a few seconds...After we pulled it out he would go. We had to do this for quite a while with him. After a few months, he just got the hang of it....He's 3 1/2 now....He has NO problems...
    BWIND

Answer by BWIND at 10:32 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• thnx to all of you ladies for your help... yes! he pooped! and has been doing so ever since on a daily basis! lol
    kk8878

Comment by kk8878 (original poster) at 10:15 PM on Sep. 29, 2010