Indoor activities

I have a 19 month old and I've started thinking about activities for us to do when it becomes too cold to play outside. However we are very poor right now so I want to think old school. I can't afford big play sets and space is semi limited. We made homemade play-dough today. We have a play mat with various modes of transportation toys, lots of books, art tools, all the very basics to make sure he is getting proper stimulus. I just want to give him more options so he doesn't get board with me. If you have any advice, links, or ideas I would love to hear them! Thanks

mrs.coop

Asked by mrs.coop at 12:25 AM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When it gets really cold me and my daughter breath on the windows and draw pictures (i have to wash the windows after but it is fun).
    justduckie_mom

Answer by justduckie_mom at 12:30 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• That is fun thanks!
    mrs.coop

Comment by mrs.coop (original poster) at 12:33 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Look up the specific developmental levels for his age. Structure the day so there are cognitive activities as well as fine n gross motor activities. Allow time for crafts/art so he can start exploring kid scissors, glue etc. Have a time for music. Use grestures (same as u would for itsy bitsy spider) to teach vocabulary. Create ur own books from old magazines. Enjoy :)
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 12:42 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I can be a bit ocd about the developmental stages. He is very far ahead of the game with vocabulary and we have begun adding in sign language yesterday. He learned three signs in one day like it was nothing. I hadn't thought of scissors, I'll look into getting some for him so we can color and make our own puzzles and whatnot. He loves music, he was dancing for an hour today only breaking for a drink of water. His face got so red!
    mrs.coop

Comment by mrs.coop (original poster) at 12:57 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• It's not a home activity, but it is indoors: check your local library. Many have free story time for kids (and some have age-appropriate sessions). You also have a ton of different books at your disposal!

Also, check if you local malls have any events for kids. For example, one near us has family playtime twice a month where they have free performers for the kids.
    phoofy

Answer by phoofy at 1:05 AM on Sep. 23, 2010