Food Stamps Question

I am not new here, I just honestly do not want to post this under my screen name and be judged for it. My husband and I went to apply for food stamps today, and we did not get an interview because they did not have enough techs on site so I did not get to ask them.

Will my student loans/financial aid count as income against me? They asked me for the information and I did not want to commit fraud so I reported it.

Also I was told that an injury lawsuit winnings cannot be counted as income against you, is that true as well?

AnonymousMomof3

Asked by AnonymousMomof3 at 12:51 AM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

• Here's the thing - as a student, you have to be employed at least 20 hours per week in order to qualify for food stamps, unless you are a full-time caretaker of children. My husband and I are both full-time students but even with our student aid we did not exceed the maximum income for a family of 4. However, since I am the primary caretaker of our kids, only myself and my 2 kids qualified - my husband did not, because he is not working 20 hours or more per week while he is a student.

I hope that answers your question...I'm really not sure about the second one though. GL!
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 12:55 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• You need to tell them about all your income but you are right that some will not count against you. It would be really bad if they found out you had income you did not report.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:55 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• My husband is disabled and has applied for SSI, as for me, I am the primary caretaker of our three children.

I would never not report income I am just curious as to what will count and what won't honestly.
    AnonymousMomof3

Comment by AnonymousMomof3 (original poster) at 1:00 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• This is what I found:  Food stamps & student loan/financial aid? 

Now this is the state of Michigan other states might differ. Might want to research some more.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 1:09 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Thank you! That seems to clear up the financial aid part, now if I could only find the answer to the lawsuit part...maybe I will call tomorrow.
    AnonymousMomof3

Comment by AnonymousMomof3 (original poster) at 1:19 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I'd go to your state site for Medicaid to get your answers. Just be honest with them.
    mollgirl

Answer by mollgirl at 5:50 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Food Stamps Eligibility and Settlement

Read question #3

And response on #4 and #5

That question was asked in 11/2006 you might want to ask them that very same question now.

GL

GL

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:09 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• gl
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 1:37 PM on Sep. 23, 2010