Businesses...why stay here?

Why would a business stay in a country that plans on raising the taxes of their executives? Corporate tax rates in our nation are some of the highest! http://www.taxfoundation.org/blog/show/1188.html Why would a company want to keep jobs in our country if their executives are being taxed heavily and their business is being taxed more here than they would in Ireland, Korea or even Japan? What would keep a company (and the jobs they provide) in our country? Can we really blame them for shipping our jobs to other countries? (by the way I am not talking about small businesses now, I am talking about companies that each employ thousands of Americans)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Most have already gone over seas and left america behind so they can pay workers slave wages
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• It wouldn't matter if we raised taxes - they've already shipped millions and millions of jobs overseas in exchange for cheaper labor and cheaper materials. I used to work for Ethan Allen - a proclaimed American Industry - and 9 years ago they began a major change when they started importing goods from China. In the course of 3 years they shut down 6 plants located in the US.....
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 12:22 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• So Fawn80, your feelings are that we should just continue raising taxes because companies are going to leave anyways? Why not try lowering taxes, quite a bit too, not just a couple of thousand dollars a year, so we aren't in the top 5 for highest taxes? Wouldn't we stand a chance at encouraging more jobs to stay here in the US? Wouldn't more companies = more jobs?
    Anonymous

• I like Obamas plain on this one give the big compines tax breaks for keeping jobs in the usa.. I think they need to tax there butts off when they go outisde the usa.. But alot of this can be blamed on american they dont buy items made in the uas they go for the cheap china goods.. I will pay more and I also look high and low for items made in the usa.. If they are made in the usa and if I can live with out it I wont get it..
    homemom1620

Answer by homemom1620 at 12:29 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• But homemom1620, Obama only offers $3000 for his incentive. Its going to cost far more than that to keep a job in the US if you crunch the numbers. He doesn't account for this.
    And bravo to you for buying American made, but what about things that are better quality and made in a different country? I personally drive a Japanese made car. I love it. I drove an American car, it was awful. I plan on sticking with the Japanese unless the Americans can make a huge change.
    Anonymous

Right , Obama knows so little about business, he doesn't know it costs upwards of 50,000 a year to hire a new employee and he wants to reward a company with $3000 ? Laughable.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:40 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Well, apparently people don't understand the driving force behind "Shop your local businesses." And, apparently, no one works for a company that is threatening to close down. Do you think these companies CAN'T AFFORD the taxes? Do you not realize they were paying higher taxes BEFORE Bush was in office? Do you not remember the economic boom we had during the Clinton administration?
    It's nice that you all stand behind somebody who is all for his "country" but you don't believe in it.
    Oh, and I've ALWAYS driven an American made vehicle and I've found that they always perform quite nicely. (Of course I might just be biased working for GM)
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 1:15 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Clinton was riding wave of economic prosperity set forth by none other than the great Ronald Reagan. Name one piece of legislation that Clinton created and passed that helped improve the economy.
    Anonymous

• But I don't see how taxes businesses more is going to make Americans buy more American made stuff? Am I missing the connection?
    Anonymous

• For those that debate the issue of buying American Made, remember that our country is so heavily indebted to countries like China, that we HAVE to allow their items to come into our country to be sold, good, bad or pieces of crap. Another thot here also is that our government has encouraged for years, huge incentives for foreignors to come in a begin business, hence largely owned by eastern Indians who own most gas stations, hotels, Dairy Queen (lol), and even our local stop 'n robs. Why? B/c of tax breaks given, over tax incentives given to American citizens. Interesting, huh?
    To break it all down, everyone is trying to get the best break they can. What fault is that? Our happy government giving the tax breaks to the wrong people.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 1:40 PM on Oct. 20, 2008