Why is our society so baby-centric?

Many women are having trouble conceiving children, and cannot afford ivf. Instead of moving on, many of these women get obsessed. Why doesn't our society allow women to understand that there's a lot more to being a woman than just having children. Our society is so fatuated with baby-bumps (especially with celebrities). How can a woman who cannot conceive have the community to encourage her to move on, and find other pathways throug life without having kids?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Because women are meant to have children. Some might get offended by this comment but its true. We are designed bodywise to have them, it is why we have curvy hips and breasts and a uterus. It is why we have periods. Women also come with hormones and a sense of nurturing that gives them a strong desire to want children. There is nothing wrong with society or the women who try very hard to have kids.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:02 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• And, I might add, if our society were truly baby-centric and so focused on women being mothers, women would be able to take more than 12 weeks unpaid leave (or six to eight weeks paid, if they're lucky) when they have the baby and would not be penalized when they have to miss work due to sick children.
    ruthie11617

Answer by ruthie11617 at 2:08 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I agree. I think the men should try to have them instead, lol
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 3:08 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Perhaps you wouldn't feel this way if you wanted children so badly but couldn't have them.  You might be signing a different tune.

momentofpeace

Answer by momentofpeace at 7:16 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Guess you can't know until you have been in that situation. I think it's wrong for you to even question it.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:49 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• No matter what society says, some women just want to be a mom. Nothing anyone says or does can change that.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 7:57 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Exactly what sweetloveofmine said.I feel badly for all of those women who are having a hard time conceiving,or just cannot.I have carried five children and could not imagine how those women feel.I can't knock them for trying.They just instinctly want what the rest of us have.One of my good friends has this problem and I watched her and her husband welt up with tears as they played with my children when babies.Then I can't help but think about all of those girls/women having abortions :\
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:52 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• They are "FATUATED" ? LOL.
    Infatuated. The word is "infatuated". And that is not fair to women who want to have children. You are diminishing a very real need.
    But, I don't think you understand the NEED to carry a baby and deliver and nourish and raise that baby. It is an emotional and spiritual need, not an obssession.
    My daughter has been trying to conceive , she has had surgery, she is trying fertility tratments and will resort to IVF. She and her husband can afford to have children and will do a wonderful job of raising children. WHat I object to is the huge numbers of teen Moms , unmarried and uneducated, who want babies as "dolls" and "accessories" and let their parents raise them.
    Leave pregnancy and parenting to the intelligent.loving married folk.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 8:59 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Society does value babies you are right. We are instinctually programmed that way, without kids the human race will die. Little girls are taught to want babies, we give them dolls to play with.

Imagine wanting a baby and not being able to...your body has failed you, that is how it feels, science has given women living with infertlity hope and yes we cling to it.

When you have walked a hundred miles in someone elses shoes feel free to judge them
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 9:10 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I agree. I also think alot of women take this whole business of being a mom way too far, like it's their only mission in life or feel they will be judged on their death beds by how the kids turn out. A woman's whole life does not depend on her fertility or supermom parenting ability.
    If men were responsible for having every other baby, there would be no families with more than 3 kids.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:11 AM on Sep. 23, 2010