How can get my toddler to stop biting, slapping, pinching me?

Please don't get me wrong, she is a loveable little girl. However, she seems to turn against me more than others. She bites, pinches, slaps, and pulls my hair a lot. I try and tell her no, it is not nice to do these things, and she says, "I sorry." But then a few minutes later she is back to doing it again. I am frustrated, adn not sure what to do.

FstrMom2009

Asked by FstrMom2009 at 2:30 AM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• How about a warning, followed by a time out?
    phoofy

Answer by phoofy at 2:34 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Don't overract too much or she will do it for that very reason. Tell her no and then give her something to play with. I've watched a lot of kids and it is my belief that when they start hitting they do it for a reaction and also when they are bored.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:40 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Momma my DD is 2 also and she is doing the same things to me. I have started the warning and followed it with a time out and I have seen a difference. They are just at that age that they want to test there limits and see how much they can get away with. They are a lot smarter then we think. GL It will get better in time.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 2:44 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Try not to let her see it getting to you. Give her a warning and let her know that her behavior is not okay. If she doesn't stop, try placing her in time out. If she won't stay in time out and continues with the behavior take her down to her room for her time out. Be consistent and Good Luck.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 7:41 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• when she bites you, (this is what we did with our dd, and it worked) put your finger to her lips, and say "no biting...it hurts mom/dad"..slapping, hold her hands sternly and say "no hitting".....i'm not sure about the pinching, maybe try the same thing. be consistent, with whatever you decide. time outs work as well. try doing 1,2,3....1--distract with a toy or something..2--warning, exlaing that it's not nice, and that the next time will be a time out....3--time out..they say only a minute for every year of age..good luck!
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 9:45 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Thank you all for the comments. I will try and see if any of this works. I have noticed in the last few days she does not do it as often. But she still does it. We did the time out the other night because I was sitting on the couch, she walked up to me and smacked me in the face, and then bit my hand. Before I could react my husband had her chair in the corner and her in it. He told her we do not smack others, and that it is wrong. She cried so hard and for about 20 min. Every Time she got up he put her back in the chair and told her she could not move until she stopped crying. About 15 min after that one she finally quit crying and he let her up from the chair. She gave me hug, said sorry and even told him she was sorry. I just hope she gets out of this stage soon. I have bruises everywhere from the bites.

FstrMom2009

Comment by FstrMom2009 (original poster) at 1:06 PM on Nov. 22, 2010