Does your child drink diet soda a lot?

If they stopped, do U think they would REALLY lose weight?

NicolesMommy

Asked by NicolesMommy at 3:06 AM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Diet Soda isn't allowed to be consumed by my kids. The artificial sweetner is really bad for you. Also the acid can wear away enamel(this is true of regular soda too) and studies show that drinking soda(iet or regular) can interfere with your body's metabolism in a negative way. My ds does drink a very rare Sprite or orange Fanta, but they aren't diet and contain no caffeine. Caffeine can stunt growth too. The only time he gets it is if we go to the movies and that happens like once or twice a year and he gets it sometimes at a resturant with his grandparents. Otherwise, we DO NOT buy soda.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:16 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Not in our family. They usually just get water and @ meals they can have a glass of milk. I think it's super important to teach kids early how to be healthy. If they are drinking sodas a lot, they are probably also eating a lot of other junk. Maybe cutting out the soda is a good place to start working towards a healthier lifestyle.
    Katjafish

Answer by Katjafish at 3:13 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• yess my 4 yr old son loves soda and i needed to cut him down so i swithced from dark sodas to clear ie.. sprite/ginger ale,7-up,
    and he lost 3 lbs in a week after the switch so i would say yes it does make a difference i hope this helps . good luck.
    magical_mommy

Answer by magical_mommy at 3:17 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Not my daughter, but I do. HOrrible amounts of coke. Probably a six pack of coke a day..if not more >,< but when I stop I shed between 6-10lbs no joke. In a months time if I cut soda I lose a lot of weight... but its just soo good. I'd rather be fat and happy
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 3:14 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• No, I have a bad Diet Coke habit, but my kids aren't allowed to drink it. I know the effects of the aspartame and phosphoric acid, and really don't want my kids exposed to that. Now if only I could get myself to stop drinking it!!
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 3:45 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Sprite Zero is a special treat for my kids. Usually they drink water. Diet soda is worse than regular soda that is made with sugar (not hfcs) in the aspect that your body thinks it isn't getting sugar. You also think because it is diet that you can drink more.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 6:43 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Soda is a rare thing in our house. If the kids have soda, I insist that it not be diet. My kids have zero weight issues (actually, older son is a bit underweight) and I'd rather they not ingest the artifical sweeteners.

Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:57 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• They have soda maybe once or twice a year as a special treat.
    MamaDee2003

Answer by MamaDee2003 at 9:03 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I would not allow my child to drink diet soda. I think it's loaded with stuff they shouldn't be taking in.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 10:33 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• My kids only get soda on special occasions like holidays and birthdays but otherwise they drink mostly water a little milk and a little juice. Weight loss would probably occur if they cut out soda of any kind but they should also be eating healthy foods in proper portion sizes with their caloric intake also being a consideration. In addition they need to be exercising. The need to get up and move around to maintain a healthy weight. It's rarely one thing in anyone's diet or lifestyle that need to change to lose weight it's almost always going to have to be a combination of modifying diet and exercise appropriately.
    -Cassandra-

Answer by -Cassandra- at 4:09 PM on Sep. 23, 2010