Hair won't hold color

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get your hair to hold color. I have medium golden brown hair. I went to an Aveda salon 2xs in 2 months and got my hair dyed two shades darker. It stayed in for a few weeks and then went right back to my original. I don't even have signs of roots. (It was permanent color too.) I want to find something that works b/c I'm getting some gray popping up :( & would LOVE to be able to hide it since I haven't even hit 30 yet!

Katjafish

Asked by Katjafish at 3:29 AM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Horrible, horrible for your hair, but bleach it, then dye it. It will hold all the color, but it damages your hairs =/
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 3:30 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Hmmmm....Hair damaged like that is not worth it to me. :)
    Katjafish

Comment by Katjafish (original poster) at 3:32 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I would go to a proffessional stylist and see what they can offer. Don't bleach it cause it will cause a ton of damage!!!!!
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:33 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Feria boxed dye works great, IF it's the color you want to continue dying it for a long time. I made the mistake of using Feria one time when I dyed my hair black......it took quite a long time and several hair cuts, before I could completely remove the black. Oh and Nice and Easy has the same effect (according to my oh so wonderful and quite skilled hairdresser).

FYI: To anyone who has the problem I had...washing your hair several times with original powdered Tide clothing detergent will help to fade the color. Once you see at least a difference of an entire shade, you can use Dawn dish detergent (not dishwasher) to help in further fading. It worked for me (my hair was blue black...not my intention) . Good luck OP...look into Feria that stuff is no joke!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:35 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Oh and to add: I have medium brown hair, so I didn't want to continue the black hair after summer when my tan was gone...lol. If you know the color you want, this stuff should work perfectly for you!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:37 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Do you use a lot of conditioner? Conditioner removes more hair color than shampoo does. If so, you might do better switching to a conditioning shampoo, and skipping separate conditioner as much as possible.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:03 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• gee - i was going to suggest going to a good salon - but you have already tried that - so, i'm sorry - maybe you'll just have to go to the drugstore and try one of their products that advertise the stay-in quality - good luck!!! i used to use Loreal before i started haveing mine done at the hair salon and i always had success with that prouct !!!
    kaysimon132461

Answer by kaysimon132461 at 7:06 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• if you dye it blonde or bleach it and went from light to dark, it will also wash out. NEVER go from light to dark! i did that and im having a hard time keeping my black in. wash your hair less. if you wash your hair every day or every other day...of course it will wash out withen a small amount of time. if you have nothing to do, dont wash your hair that day.

i think i dyed my hair with Feria too and that stuff is very hard to get out!! i even tryed the salon to take it out and they couldnt! (if thats what i used at that time)
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 8:57 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• if your hair isn't holding color it could be for a numbre of reasons:
    1- your hair is over processed. (try some protein treatments, and try again in another 4 weeks).
    2- the shampoo is damaging your hair (use a good salon brand color protectant shampoo/conditioner)
    3- your water is hard water or overly softened water (again, try a good color protectant shampoo/conditioner, may also want to dry a demineralizer or clarifier before coloring, and a color protectant for after).
    4- other chemicals, like perms, pool water, or hair sprays before thermal styling, can alter the hair color, so be aware of what products you use and how they can affect your hair color.

I would also try a different salon.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:28 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• bleaching it and recoloring it will only over process it further and will not help hold color at all.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:29 PM on Sep. 25, 2010