Is there any way to prevent a sinus infection?

Every single year I get at least 2 sinus infections (usually four, one every time the season changes, sometimes more, though). Is there any way to prevent those darned things? I eat fairly well, exercise, take a multi-vitamin, etc. (most of this I started this year, except the eating well), but I still feel like I'm about to get one. Any advice? Oh I've already started taking a decongestant/expectorant, because I've been feeling some congestion building up in my nose and chest (as usual).

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 3:42 AM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Health

• Eating right and taking vitamins won't prevent sinus infections. If it was so easy then you wouldn't be getting two a year. I used to get them about every year or so too and the I was introduced to Neti-Pot and or Sinu-Cleanse. It has worked miracles for me. I haven't had one or any illness in over 6 years. The only thing that I still may feel is that my sinuses get stuffy but then I use the Sinu-Cleanse and I feel better immediately. Worth a try in my opinion, it is only about ten dollars too at any drugstore or really any store sells them. Walmart or Drustore.com is the best prices I have found..
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 6:40 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I DONT THINK YOU CAN PREVENT IT BUT IF YOU DO I NEED TO KNOW I HAVE BADD SINUS ISSUES . TY
    magical_mommy

Answer by magical_mommy at 3:46 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I feel you pain. I've had them forever!!!! Anytime the weather changes slightly you can bet I've got one. I've never tried it but dh takes airborne when he thinks he's coming down with something and it almost always keeps the sickness fro coming!!!! My dad swears by tons of vitamins and good hand washing and drinking more water each day than a fish.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:47 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I used to get at least one a year until I started using a neti pot; maybe give that a try when you feel a cold/sniffles coming on.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 6:36 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• *Drugstore.com*
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 6:42 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Sinus infection is caused from the sinus cavities swelling due to allergies. As the seasons changes so do the allergens. As soon as you feel any pressure or experience any drainage, take benedryl & sudafed (not the PE version). Nasonex or garlic also work well to reduce inflammation.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 6:51 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I take olive leaf extract when I feel any sickness starting. I buy them at GNC. I also try to drink lots of orange juice and water.
    molly_ann

Answer by molly_ann at 6:53 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Use a nasal rinse religiously. Cleanses the sinuses and helps prevent agravation.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:03 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I always took a multi vitamin - but still got sick and didn't notice much difference - I switched last year to Vitality - I noticed a difference within the first week - more energy - more focused - just felt better :) I have been illness free for over a year - I attribute it to the vitamins - you can try them 90 days - risk free - if you don't notice a difference in your overall well being - just send the empty bottles back for a full refund - no questions asked ! Please let me know if you want to give them a try.
    Dew1

Answer by Dew1 at 9:48 AM on Sep. 23, 2010