I need help!!! My 3 year old son is hurting my Mother's dog.

My son is terrorizing my Mother's dog. He lays on her (she is a Westie), with ALL of his weight (33 lbs.) pulls her ears, tail, paws, tries to pick her up and just plain ole bother's her. She has growled at his several times in the last few days. She tries to get away from him by hiding under the bed or staying close to me. I am worried she is going to bite him VERY soon. We are constantly asking him to leave her alone and he either ignores us or, honestly, laughs at us. He thinks it is funny and says "She will NEVER hurt me." She loves him. Is excited to see him in the mornings, licks him, plays ball with him, etc. But, I worry she will end up not liking children due to the way my son treats her. I also worry, if she bites him, they will require us to put her down (euthanize) and it's my sons fault! VERY WORRIED!!!!

Momma2Parker13

Asked by Momma2Parker13 at 3:59 AM on Sep. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• Westies are not known for being very good with children, unfortunately. If she does bite your son and it was provoked, and there were people who saw your son provoking the dog, chances are you wouldn't have to euthanize. Always supervise your son and the dog together, and if he starts to play rough, take the dog away and explain to him that he can't play with the dog if he's going to pull her ears/tail, or lay on her, etc. He ignores you and laughs because he doesn't think you'll do anything about it.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 4:04 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• That's just it. We have punished him several times and he still does it. We also have a 4 month old westie puppy and he won't bother him. He plays well with the puppy. Just the older dog that we have the problem with. I NEVER leave him alone with her.
    Thank you for the feedback.
    Momma2Parker13

Comment by Momma2Parker13 (original poster) at 4:15 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• And how are you disciplining him? Telling him no is obviously not working. Are you putting him in time out? Spanking him? You need to get it through his head before he gets hurt.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 6:31 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Seriously momma? are you BROKEN or something? is there a reason you cannot find other more appropriate activities for your child? how about baby gating the dog to another part of the house for starters. if she bites him honsetly it will be YOUR fault. for not being more active in your roll as a mother. sorry.
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 8:29 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• OK, I will TELL you what to do. When your Son goes over your Mothers house, take the Dog & put her in a bathroom with a gate or close the door, OR gate/close her in a room that your Son cannot access. Why hasn't this already been done?? The dog WILL BITE YOUR SON & perhaps permanently MAME him! It is then YOUR fault! Not the dogs. My Mother has a shitzu that is a nasty little dog and when I go there to visit with my Son, I call her right before I get there and she gates her in the bathroom until we leave. By the way, you really have to work on your Sons behavior towards animals because you are looking for real problems in the future if you do not teach him now how to interact with other living things.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:45 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• First off, I am NOT BROKEN!!! Secondly, we live with my Mother, so gating the dog or locking her in the restroom in NOT AN OPTION!!! Boy, you Mother's are BRUTAL. I was asking for advise, not to be criticized. By the way ILovemyPaulie, I am trying to work on my son's behavior...why do you think I posted a comment asking for advise? You need to work on how to offer advise rather than tear someone apart for asking for help!

I don't think I need to explain myself anymore to any of you Mother's that answered as YOU ARE ALL RUDE!!!
    Momma2Parker13

Comment by Momma2Parker13 (original poster) at 4:28 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I am very sorry that you took offense to my answer. You did not state that you lived with your Mother. The reason our responses may seem rude is that this is a very serious situation and the only options are gating the dog in or giving her to another family. Any dog can bite even without a prior history of doing so. They are animals and your Son could possibly get very very hurt and None of us would ever want that to happen. Again it seems that those are your only options. Sorry to have sounded so harsh but my best girlfriends sister's face was permanently marred by their very sweet dog and the family went through a lot of stress and she went through years of painful surgeries to repair her face. Best regards.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:47 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Is there more than one level to the house? I would gate the dog on one floor while your son is on a different floor. Then I would really start working on your son's behavior. At the very least his obedience. Perhaps asking him to do something is not effective? Try telling him and mean it. Time outs, spankings whatever you choose.Find a method of dicipline that works for you My son would get a spanking for this behavior.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 7:55 PM on Sep. 23, 2010