How much cereal is too much for a 5 month old?

My baby does not like to take his formula (very much)because of teething. I read to replaced it with cereal because it still has milk. My son did not get constipated from the cereal(made sure he had applesauce in it). He also sucked on one of those things you put fruit in so they get the juices only. I put frozen berries and he loved it(soothed his teeth too). I worry about dehydration:(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:41 AM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Baby still needs formula at this point, I think a small amount of cereal once a day is plenty at this age. Actually they recommend no cereal prior to six months of age.
    Try taking a wet washcloth and throwing in the freezer for a little bit, and have him chew on it prior to his bottles.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 6:51 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Actually...none. He shouldn't be replacing his formula. Cereal does not have any of the nutrients that his formula has and should never replace it. His Main nutrition until after 1 should be the formula. Even if you have to give it in a cup. Cereal is worthless filler fluff. And I actually would wait to give food until he can sit up on his own and reach for food and pick it up and feed himself.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:40 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I agree with the above posters. Nothing should replace formula or breast milk. To be honest, I would cut out ALL the solids at this point, until he begins drinking his formula.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:56 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• While I don't think giving your son cereal is bad thing, I do think that you may want to skip it until he starts taking his bottle again. Cereal should not replace his formula at this point (and actually it should not replace his formula it should just be given in addition to it until he's older). Are you sure that he is refusing the bottle because of teething? There may be something else that is bothering him ie: reflux, tummy ache, full.. You may want to rule out other things before resorting to teething. Good luck- I know it's frustrating when they do not take their formula!
    Lisa.Price

Answer by Lisa.Price at 9:03 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Do not give him anything. If he doesnt drink his formula he doesnt get cereal. Formula is number one and the cereal may fill up some of the hunger ha has for formula.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:54 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• On the chart my dd's nutritionist gave me it says that 4-5 tablespoons of cereal is good for his age, but the pp's are right, he still needs formula. Try giving him orajel or a cold teether a few minutes before you give him a bottle and see if that helps. Also, you can try feeding him formula from an open cup. It can be messy, but it works. And the mesh fruit feeder thing with frozen fruit in it is a lifesaver for me when my dd is teething.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 5:41 PM on Sep. 23, 2010