How many have made a connection?

I have seen so many more than usual questions all over CM about colicky babies this week. I have to wonder if these babies are on the similac formula that has been recalled. I was reading the stir articles and there are a bunch moms commenting that their kids have been fussy and not feeling well.

Liansmommie

Asked by Liansmommie at 6:54 AM on Sep. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• I never thought about it, but, that does make sense. And that's sad for those poor little babies...:(
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:24 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I thought the recall was because of "insect parts" in the formula. Although I agree it's kind of gross, I can't see how insect parts would make babies colicky - there are plenty of cultures that regularly eat insects.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:47 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Ah - good to know. I didn't track down the information because my youngest is 6 years old, so we're clearly well out of any formula!

As to the second part - people have been regularly ingesting insects for most of humanity's history. Nope, I'm not a pediatritian or any other type of clinician. My background is in evolutionary sciences. The snark isn't appreciated. You clearly just aren't a very nice person.

Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 4:13 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• that is a good idea
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 6:40 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• What is a good idea?
    GreenDelta

Answer by GreenDelta at 6:41 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Clearly.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 6:43 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• @Dr. Donna: The recall info clearly states that beetle parts and larvae found in the formula could/has caused gastrointestinal upset in small infants. Babies under 6 months do not have mature enough stomachs and intestines to digest much other than breastmilk, formula is even harder on the stomach and they shouldn't be eating anything but that, so, how do you figure beetle parts and larvae wouldn't cause stomach issues? Really? Obviously you are not a pediatrician, internal medicine doctor or anything of the like...
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:04 PM on Sep. 23, 2010