You don't HAVE to vaccinate your children, right? You just need to sign a release before they enter school??

Also, by not vaccinating do you feel you are putting others at risk? I was just talking to a friend yesterday and want to know how others feel. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:00 AM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Health

• I NEVER said ALL diseases were eradicated...

And not ALL vaccines keep you from getting the diseases, they only lower your chances. Like Varicella(chicken pox)...you can still get it even if you have been vaccinated against it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:52 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• There are religious,medical, and philosophical exemptions - check to see what your state recognizes.

I do not feel that not vaccinating puts others at risk-vaccinated individuals would be protected, right, so why the fuss?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:03 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• There is a religious exemption in my state. I vaccinate my kids so no I don't feel like others who choose not to are putting my kids at risk.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:32 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I don't want my kids exposed to nonvaxers honestly. What if my vaccinated child doesn't have good titers and catches say polio from a nonvaccinated child? Then spends the rest of their life in a w/c. Irresponsible not to vaccinate MOST of the time, not always.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:52 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• ANON: If you can't trust your vaccines enough to protect from an unvaccinated child...how do you expect it to protect them at all? You should feel all secure knowing your child is vaccinated. You have no idea how many nonvaccinated people you run across on a daily basis...
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:10 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Take it one step further and better, homeschool your child.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 7:04 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• @AtHomeMommy-3: EVERY state has at least one form of exemption you can file and still attend school. The school just won't let that slip, that is something you have to go do yourself.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/laws/downloads/izlaws05-06.pdf     "Page 39"...and that was on 05-06. There are now more available per state.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:32 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Ok. So I have heard others say that since I choose to vaccinate my children then my children are not at risk. And that is a safe and fair assumption. But what about the other children whose parents choose not to vaccinate or those who can't vaccinate for whatever reason. Health problems, etc. Those children would still be at a risk wouldnt they? Not trying to be disagreeable, just really curious as to what the opinion is on that.
    teagansmom10

Answer by teagansmom10 at 8:15 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• On the bottom of our school vaccination forms they have exemptions boxes that the non-vax parents can check and turn in. If I remember correctly there is a religious reason box, and an other (fill in blank) box. I usually don't pay much attention to the form as my kids are vax'ed and I just tape the vaccine printout from the doctor to the 'fill in the vaccines' spot.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:17 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Kids who aren't vaccinated would be at risk if exposed to the disease. However, since the vaccinating started, the diseases have been practically eradicated here, so, there is ALMOST no chance of anyone being exposed to it. And we are a more developed country than in the past..I would worry more about exposure to Superbugs or Antibiotic resistant bacteria...because of all the Anti-bacterial crap we use and the antibiotics that are prescribed so dang much, these should be the concern now.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:21 AM on Sep. 23, 2010