Contraction or not?

This is my 2nd pregnancy, but with DS, I never really experienced a contraction or braxton hicks. I was induced, and the pitocin did nothing for me. By the time the doctor broke my water, I was 4cm and got the epidural. I think I may have only had 2 or 3 contractions from the time my water was broken until the time I got the epidural, and that was it.

I'm 35 weeks now, and from time to time, usually when I am standing, the top of my stomach gets really hard and tight. It's not really painful though, which is why I am unsure whether or not it's a contraction. It only lasts a couple of seconds, maybe 15-20, and then goes away. Also, on occasion, I get what I would describe as period-like cramps. These are a little more uncomfortable, but with these, I don't really notice any tightening in my stomach.

What does it sound like to you? Just normal pregnancy pains, BH, or possible contractions? Thanks

AMZF812

Asked by AMZF812 at 7:11 AM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Could be? I never knew what a contraction was until I was in active labor. After I had my baby I then was able to identify that yes I was having contractions even when I just thought I had a cramp or short stomachache. My contactions also crept up. They started from the bottom and would peak at the top of my belly button and then the crampy feeling would creep back down.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:33 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Sounds like Braxton Hicks. i have them all day and night. They never grow in intensity and can last any where from 10-60 seconds. Real contractions usually come every 2-5 minutes and will increase with intensity and are more than just uncomfortable but will stop you in your tracks.
    I have extreme amount of fluid due to having big babies and I always start to have Braxton hicks around 24 weeks pregnant and grow closer and more frequent and intensity as I get further along. I am currently almost 35 weeks and on RX meds for it and on light bed rest and they come every 5-10min. They do at times stop my in my tracks but I get checked every couple of days for dilation and nothing so far.
    Just let your doctor know, they should be asking you at each appointment but if not definitely let them n=know you are having them, They will check your cervix for any changes.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 7:35 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• sounds like braxton hicks
    eliesmommy1989

Answer by eliesmommy1989 at 12:57 PM on Sep. 23, 2010