Costumes, to hand me down or to not hand me down?

So my kids are about to turn 4 (october) and 2 (december) and 1 (january), and i always buy my oldest a new costume every year obviously cause she wont fit into the previous year. my middle child is old enough now to understand the concept of trick or treating, and she fits perfectly into the costume my oldest wore last year. its true she probably wont care this year what she wears.. but part of me feels bad about handing down costumes. its only once a year right? do you hand costumes down or buy new ones for your other children? thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:32 AM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Holidays

• I know what you mean...I feel guilty too. I would say if she acts like she is ok with it...and is not asking for anything else...its probably ok.

But if she is asking for something else, I would try to get her what she wanted to be. Normally I let my kids put their old costumes in a dress up box and they play in them, so I dont even think about handing down anymore b/c they are usually stained and worn out.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:01 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I have handed down costumes. Honestly, I only have one child, but my sister has 6 kids, and there have been many years that I have passed down my son's costume to her kids that were younger. Honestly speaking the kids don't care! Not to mention, we love it that we now have pictures of my son, and her three youngest daughters in the same costume all hung together at my Mom's! And, when I have another baby, his or her picture will join the ranks with their picture in that first costume too!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 7:36 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• We buy new ones. I donate the old ones to Good Will that way it gives a child the following year a costume that he or she may not other wise have.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 7:44 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• We buy new ones and donate old ones....this year my youngest wants to be a baseball player and we have everything for that so I don't have to buy a costume this year!
    TJones32

Answer by TJones32 at 7:54 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• we've done both. it just depends on what other moms in our social circle have and offer to hand down. I have family members that will buy costumes after halloween and mail them to us the following year too, so we always have lots of costumes to choose from and then I try to hand them down afterwards or donate to goodwill or DAV.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:30 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• We also buy new ones and donate old ones. But I only have one child.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 10:42 AM on Sep. 23, 2010