This is crazy - how much homework does your 5th grader have?

DD is and has always been a straight-A student. Last year (4th grade), she was so far ahead on the curve that she had to be assessed using 5th grade standards. She's more than able to keep up in that regard this year - I mean, she understands the material and the concepts BUT there is just so much as far as sheer volume! Minimum 2 hours worth every nite, and that does not include projects. A lot of it seems like nothing more than busy work, homework for the sake of homework. And it's not work that has not been finished in class, it is work that has been assigned specifically as homework.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:41 AM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Wow! My kids aren't that old, but the district has a 10 minute per elementary grade policy. My son is in first grade so he gets 10 minutes worth. In 5th grade, he would get around 50 minutes worth. 2 hours seems excessive!
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 7:48 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Time to go to school and talk to the teacher... that is not going to work... she will burn out ... I know I had one do that and it was miserable! Anything over a 45 minutes is not acceptable!
    kamore

Answer by kamore at 11:57 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• That is crazy! My son is in fifth grade, and he has anywhere from no homework to 1 hrs worth a night.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 7:46 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• My son can easily spend 2 hours in a night "working" on homework. Of course, he fidgets and gets distracted easily, so he isn't working for the full two hours. I think if he buckled down and just did the work, he'd easily finish in half that time. Is your daughter focusing during her work? If yes, then this seems like a bit much. You might want to speak with her teacher.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:44 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I would talk to the teacher and find out how much time she should be spending on homework. Our elementary school standard is 10 minutes/grade - so a 5th grader should be spending no more than 50 minutes. My 5th grade son gets his homework done in less than that, usually 30 minutes.

Answer by missanc at 8:47 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I went to a prep school and we had a minimum of 45 minutes per subject per day starting in 4th grade. Everyday our schedules varied so one night I might have between 3-5 hours of homework, plus projects. Sure it's a lot but it's better than a lack of reinforcement of principals learned. My sd has hardly any homework and I wonder how this is supposed to prepare her for high school, college, etc.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 9:49 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• My son had between 30 min to 90 minutes of homework last year in 5th grade. About once a month he would have a heavy load, but never 2 hours every night.
    mellonhead

Answer by mellonhead at 12:07 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• My oldest is in 5th.  So far I've seen her bring home a worksheet each night (math or English or science).  She's also supposed to read 30 minutes each night and practice her mulitplication facts.  It just varies from night to night and I have to check the website each night to see what her homework is because she won't tell me and won't do it all.

My 2nd grader gets more homework than the 5th grader so far.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:52 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• My daughter is in 6th grade but hardly ever has homework. I don't remember much homework last year either except spelling words. My DD gets home from school around 4 and I get home around 5:15 and her homework (if she has any) is always done.
    jenn1172

Answer by jenn1172 at 3:46 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• My son has 30 minutes of reading everynight and projects when they come up. I notice that certain teachers that give homework are the teachers that really don't teach in the class. His 1st & 3rd grade teachers were that way. The students did almost nothing in class and everything at home. I informed the teachers that if the work came home as homework and I had to sign off that it was done then I WOULD BE GRADING THE PAPERS NOT THEM.  Some teachers are JUST LAZY!

emerald53197

Answer by emerald53197 at 4:59 PM on Sep. 23, 2010