Does a mammogram hurt?

What is the procedure?

waltek

Asked by waltek at 7:54 AM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Health

• I just know what my mom says. She says they place your breast up on a bottom "plate" and then the top plate comes down and squishes it into a pancake. My mom says it hurts very badly. She just has to remind herself to breath!

It stays there for a bit until they get the pictures they need. She says you will never believe how flat they can make a breast.

I am not looking forward to it at all! WIth all of our technology you would think they could do a scan like an ultrasound type thing or something by now!!!!!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:58 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Yes and no. mostly it is uncomfortable. Some women do say that it hurts but, I would think minimally at best. For me, I just take some Aleve before I go and avoid caffeine the whole week before. It lasts for a few seconds, twice on each breast and it's over. You might be in there a total of 30 minutes and back in your car. Definitely worth the inconvenience for a life saving procedure.
    Your breasts are compressed between two plates vertically and horizontally for a total of 4 films and sent off to be read by a radiologist just like any other xray.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:12 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• They just squish your boobies and look at the picture! lol It is uncomfortable, especially if you have bigger breasts. The smaller they are the less they hurt I think...
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 8:15 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• This theory The smaller they are the less they hurt I think... , is not true, if your breast are small they pull and tug even harder to get the boob on the platform!!!!! then squish it!!! it is not really painful but very uncomfortable but it doesn't last long and it is necessary for preventive medicine.

Answer by older at 8:22 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Not really painful just uncomfortable since as PP's said they do squish your boobs it's the waiting for the results that drove me crazy.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 8:28 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• dunno myself but mom calls it a boobie squash (haha) and says its very uncomfortable
    HuntersMom25

Answer by HuntersMom25 at 7:59 AM on Sep. 24, 2010