Yuck

My kitchen cabinets are pretty grimy. What is the best way to clean them? Soap, water, bleach...? Is there a product that will work well? Also interested in painting the cabinets. Has anyone done that? What kind of work must be put into it (sanding?) Any input?

Thanks, ladies, for your advice!!

kya143

Asked by kya143 at 11:52 AM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Home & Garden

• I've heard It's alot of work to paint the cabinets. Alot of sanding and such. But I'm sure it would be well worth it in the end. I've thought of doing it also. I have a friend who told me to just paint the capinet doors and put knobs on them. Not as much work and a great change. I'm contemplating that at the moment. As far as what I use to clean them - I just use good ol' soap and water.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 12:07 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• If they have alot of old grease and grime, lol, like my parents cabinets; I would suggest a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It worked good getting the yuck off theirs. It doesn't have a strong chemical odor and is pretty easy on the wood.
    evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 12:19 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Krud Kutter! And a Mr Clean Magic Eraser. Lots of elbow grease. We just got a home that was built in 1972 and has never been cleaned. Gross!!!!! That's what worked for me. Also if you are looking to repaint. Use a liquid deglosser. Then Kilz2 primer. or an oil primer.(it creates a nice enameled look. The go ahead and paint, but use a high gloss. It makes cleaning a lot easier down the road. Good Luck!
    My3RaysofSun

Answer by My3RaysofSun at 4:05 PM on Oct. 27, 2008