How do I soak my cloth diapers and wipes to eliminate stains?

I've used cloth diapers with my daughter, but for my coming in February baby, I want to switch to all-in-one cloth diapers. Before I used a mixture of laundry detergent, vinegar, and water in my tub. I am worried that the vinegar might mess with the color of the diapers though. Any thoughts or pointers?

WholeFoodsMom

Asked by WholeFoodsMom at 8:14 AM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i always used bleach water then added bleach to the wash. You could try oxi clean

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 8:28 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Stay away from bleach - very toxic and harsh! For cloth diapers - use a pail with a lid for soiled diapers. Cover the diapers with a combination of water and 1 capful of Sol-U-Mel, 1 1/2 tablespoon of MelaPower 6x and 1 1/2 tablespoon of MelaBrite 6x. Soak them overnight before washing with 1 Tablespoon of MelaPower 6x and 1 to 2 capfuls of Sol-U-Mel. For whiter diapers, add 1 -2 tablespoons of MelaBrite 6x as well. Treat the diaper pail regularly with Sol-U-Guard Botanical to disinfect. The products that I mentioned are natural, and very economical - you can view info about them at www.SaferForYourHome.com Please let me know if you would like more information.
    Dew1

Answer by Dew1 at 9:54 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• AIO's probably will have a stay-dry lining fabric (like fleece or minky) and those don't stain (because they don't absorb anything). I just soak my stuff in hot water (after solids, BF baby poop doesn't need soaking) and they wash right up. I have two diapers that are bamboo only on the inside and I have to sun them to get the stains out.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:30 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Avoid bleach. Try Oxi Clean. Putting them out in the sun can help, too, because of the UV.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:19 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I do avoid bleach; I use everything natural or organic. Thanks for the tips! I'll have to try them out.
    WholeFoodsMom

Comment by WholeFoodsMom (original poster) at 8:31 AM on Sep. 25, 2010