Out Of Control MIL

ok, i am a very quiet and patient person, i never argue with anyone and i usually just ignore stupid comments and put a smile on my face. well i'm 21 and my son is three,my daughter is 1 1/2 and number three is on its way. needless to say being a yound parent people r always trying to tell me how to take care of my children and well ya know. my family's not bad cuz they know me and i practically raised my brothers and sisters growing up but my MIL is always picking about something. either i should stop taking my pain medication for my medical condition and live through the pain becuz my baby being breastfed is the most important thing to do..and all thats stupid stuff.. Continued

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Oct. 20, 2008 in General Parenting

• Talk to her about it. Maybe she doesnt realize shes doing it or feels like shes really helping. If not then just ignore her. That is the ONLY thing you can do.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 12:00 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• My husband had to tell my MIL to knock it off. She still comments on stuff, but I just walk away and have actually left my house a couple of times while she was here.
    Angie211

Answer by Angie211 at 12:00 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• anyways so yesterday we were at her house and she wanted my son to give her kisses and hugs, which he is not a very lovey dovey person and only likes to hug me and his sister.well after about 30 mins of her trying to coax him into kissing and hugging her she grabbed him and kissed him and hugged him. well i'm sure you all can imagine that my 3 year old did not appreciate that.he pushed himself away in tears telling her she was bold and he hated her, then she slapped him across the face and started yelling at him. Let me tell you, for being 9 months pregnant and ready to pop any day i flew up out of my chair and was in her face in seconds telling her if she ever laid a hand on my son again i would beat the living f*** out of her and she would never see my children again. and then i took my children and left while meanwhile she screaming about grandmother's rights.
    xdeviouskittyxx

Answer by xdeviouskittyxx at 12:05 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• i know i went a little crazy being all hormonally raged and i shouldn't of acted like that in front of my son but i was beyond infuriated, i don't hit my son he sits in the bold boy chair, and she left a welt on the side of his face!! and hes only 3!!!! i can't ask for advice from my family cuz they'll al be at her door with baseball bats, i just want to know if i went too far and what would you have done in my situation and what should i do now?? i am not apologizing to her.
    xdeviouskittyxx

• sorry i wasn't finished with my question yet....everyone started answering to i don't even know what..lol
    xdeviouskittyxx

Answer by xdeviouskittyxx at 12:06 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• if it was me i would have slapped her back. I dare someone to lay a hand my daughter, cause as soon as they did they would be laying on the ground. BUT No you didnt over react. you did the right thing. And there isnt such a thing called grandparents right. i wouldnt let her them anymore if it was me. Cause what if she does it again? Sorry that happened to your son.
    Anonymous

• I would never hit my daughter across the face,

That is completely insane of that woman to even come close to hitting your child,

Thats wrong very wrong,
    What did your DH have to say?
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 12:19 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I would have done the same thing. I wouldnt have ever stood for that. I wouldnt never every hit my son, let alone in the face. i think that you did the right thing... beyond the cussing. ((but i understand about the hormones) my mil steps over the line but never to that extent.. but my son is only 7 months. I wouldnt worry about her. I would ignore her. if she has any respect for you , she will be the one to apologize and if she doesnt... its her loss.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 12:24 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• My husband had enough of my mil and one of my sil shit that he no longer talks to his mother the sister or is brother and his wife. The only person he talks to is the oldest sister and once in a while he will talk to the youngest but she works alot and is hard to get a hold of. Long story short sent the sister a pic message she got mad so tired to let things blow over and then i got accused of putting nail polish remover in her face wash. She didn't even have the guts to confront me or my husband it was his mom that confronted him then i found out 15 miles down the road what had happened. The the brother and his wife when running over to the moms a month later and said i admitted to it all. Hard when we now live 16 hours away and they don't have a phone.
    EJsHottMama

Answer by EJsHottMama at 1:08 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Oh baby you are well within your rights as a mother to stand up like you did in his defense. I applaud you, mama bear. Keep in mind that grandparents do not have legal rights per se. So her screaming that she does is a useless and mute point. I would not apologise. She needs to apologise to you and your son.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 1:13 PM on Oct. 20, 2008