How do you handle a female ADHD child that is great in school (mostly) but when she comes home she is mean as ever?

Alysa505

Asked by Alysa505 at 8:22 AM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I had adhd really bad as a child. It is a problem that unless you have it yourself yourself you do not and never will completely understand it. It makes you anxious and jumpy which can sometimes make a kid aggravated and seem mad. I always wanted to be moving and doing something. Only things I was interested in but I would not be able to complete them bc b4 I would finish my mind would think of something more fun that I wanted to do, so I would do it. My brain was like a tv that I did not have a remote to, no power button and the tv was switching through channels on its own. Medicine sort of helped but it gave me nightmares and I was just not myself. I want to talk to you more about this. So if you have anymore questions about this message me.
    courtneyrogers

Answer by courtneyrogers at 9:42 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Many kids that are diagnosed with ADD are actually suffering from acute allergic reactions to environmental agents - children need much less exposure than adults do to develop negative symptoms - there might be something in your home that is bothering her - try switching to non-toxic, green cleaning products - I'm not sure it this will help - but I would try it - its better than the drugs that are prescribed - also eliminate any possible sensitivity to food and food additives - i hope things improve. For economical, natural cleaning products you can visit www.saferforyourhome.com.
    Dew1

Answer by Dew1 at 10:02 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• It could be a side effect from her meds(I assume she takes meds) please talk with her doctor and see if her dose or medication can be changed......
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 3:20 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• i agree with checkin the meds
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:30 AM on Sep. 25, 2010